When do u guys add your gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering at what step you guys add your gelatin (those that use it) to clarfiy? When you rack to 2ndary? or at bottling/kegging?

I typically add mine to my secondary (or primary if I didn't rack to a secondary for whatever reason) about 2 days before racking to bottling bucket for bottling. Seems to work fine for me.

I cold crash the primary for at least of couple days before adding gelatin, then rack at least three days later.

If I'm not going to rack to secondary (for whatever reason) here's what I do:

* Drop the temp in primary to 36°
* Wait 24 hours
* Add the gelatine
* Wait 3 days
* Keg

It works for me and I get clear beer.

I've found gelatin to work almost as well at room temp as it does when the beer is cold. There may still be a little bit of chill haze, but it's much reduced over not using any gelatin. And it's much easier than chilling a carboy. I like to gelatin before racking to a keg since I don't want whatever settles out sitting in the bottom of the keg. Sure, the beer clears after a couple pints but the first time you move the keg it kicks back up again. You could always add gelatin to the keg, pull a few pints until the beer clears, then move it to a new keg, but again, it's much more work than just adding some gelatin to secondary.

Back