Plug heatsticks into your stove outlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua618

Reaction score
I recently moved into a small apartment with a small kitchen (and a mini stove). The electrical in this apartment is very limited so I wanted to utilize the stove outlet. I also didn't want to have to move the stove to access the outlet everytime that I brew and would still be able to heat up sparge water on the stove. The coiled burners on the stove won't support the weight of a full 8 gallon boil.

I used a 125 amp surface mounted circuit box with 20 amp breakers attached to 20 amp GFCI outlets. This way the 20 amp circuits (one for each heatstick) are protected from the 50 amp circuit. I could have used a smaller 60 amp box, but it was much easier to make connections in the 125 amp box.

There are two plugs, so that I can leave the stove connected all of the time. The stove plugs into the female connector and the male plug goes into wall outlet.

Because I am only using a maximum of approximately 35 amps at 120 volts with two 2000 watt heatsticks, I can still use the burners on the stove because the stove circuit is 50 amps at 240 volts. I am able to boil 8 gallons of water without the stove, just the two heatsticks.

Here are some pictures for you to see.

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

that's some good old fashioned small space ingenuity there! nice work and a great solution to a common problem.

Back