Magic hat #9 clone..??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had a good Magic hat #9 clone..?? I have this beer not too long for the first time... any suggestions would be appreciated... THanks in advacne..

Jester

doh, again another one that is in the BYO 150 clones. If I can get the time, I can post. This happened to me with the Samuel Smith IPA clone, I had responded to an inquiry and then I forgot to post it. I tried searching BYO site, but didn't come up with anything. If I get in front of the pc tonight with my book I can post, if I forget forgive me in advance :p!

Thanks for the reply.. I was thinking about picking up that clone book... I've seen the advertisments in BYO magazines... Hopefully you can get me the recipe till I find the magazine... Thanks again...

Jester

From BYO clone recipe book:

1 lb, 13 oz. 2-Row Pale
3 oz. Crystal 60
1.75 lbs. Light Dried Malt Extract
3 AAU Warrior (30)
2.5 AAU Tettnang (30)
.25 oz. Cascade (0)
Wyeast 1335 or White Labs WLP002
3.3 lbs. Oregon Fruit Products Apricot Puree or 3 oz. apricot flavoring (add in secondary)

If doing AG - omit malt extracts and mash 9 lbs. 10 oz. of pale malt in 12.5 quarts water - single infusion at 152 degrees.

Boil 90 minutes.

sonvolt said:

1 lb, 13 oz. 2-Row Pale
3 oz. Crystal 60
3 AAU Warrior (30)
2.5 AAU Tettnang (30)
.25 oz. Cascade (0)
3.3 lbs. Oregon Fruit Products Apricot Puree or 3 oz. apricot flavoring (add in secondary)

If doing AG - omit malt extracts and mash 9 lbs. 10 oz. of pale malt in 12.5 quarts water - single infusion at 152 degrees.

Boil 90 minutes.

Yeah I ended up going with the apricot flavoring, and it actually turned out really well, I would def. suggest it. I just bottled it tonight, and even now it tastes awesome!!! :rockin:

sonvolt said:

1 lb, 13 oz. 2-Row Pale
3 oz. Crystal 60
3 AAU Warrior (30)
2.5 AAU Tettnang (30)
.25 oz. Cascade (0)

Boil 90 minutes.
1.75 lbs. of DME doesn't sound like quite enough for a 5 gallon batch of beer. Something must be missing or is it just me.:)

Blender said:
1.75 lbs. of DME doesn't sound like quite enough for a 5 gallon batch of beer. Something must be missing or is it just me.:)

I thought the same thing when I first read it..?!?!

does anyone know if thats the right amounts listed..?!?! I jsut bought the BYO clone book and it has the samething listed... has anyone tried this recipe.. it just doesnt seem like as much as all the other beers I've brewed...

Jester

I bought everything for this brew today... this one was kind of expensive... it was close to $50.00 for everything... hopefully it'll be good... has anyone tried this exact recipe..??

I brewed this about a month and a half ago. It turned out really good...in fact one of our best brews to date. I ended up using some different hops than the warrior that it calls for though (can't remember off the top of my head what i used though, and i don't ahve my notes with me). I actually like the clone better than the real thing, and it's still pretty young even.

Originally Posted by sonvolt

1 lb, 13 oz. 2-Row Pale
3 oz. Crystal 60
3 AAU Warrior (30)
2.5 AAU Tettnang (30)
.25 oz. Cascade (0)

Boil 90 minutes.
1.75 lbs. of DME doesn't sound like quite enough for a 5 gallon batch of beer. Something must be missing or is it just me.

Blender said:

Ooops. . . I left out 3.3 lbs. of Light Liquid Malt Extract. I hope you haven't brewed this yet.

Sorry.
:(

sonvolt said:
Ooops. . . I left out 3.3 lbs. of Light Liquid Malt Extract. I hope you haven't brewed this yet.

Sorry.
:(

I actually bought the BYO clone book... so I bought the ingredients off there... I didnt even notice that it was missing anything...

I was unable to get the warrior hops at my LHBS... supposedly something only commercial breweries can get them.. I dont know... I had to get a different hops.. I'll post the name once I get home and check it out... I am brewing this weekend, so hopefully this will come out good... it was requested by someone...

Jester

Jester said:
I actually bought the BYO clone book... so I bought the ingredients off there... I didnt even notice that it was missing anything...

I was unable to get the warrior hops at my LHBS... supposedly something only commercial breweries can get them.. I dont know... I had to get a different hops.. I'll post the name once I get home and check it out... I am brewing this weekend, so hopefully this will come out good... it was requested by someone...

Jester

I've gotten Warrior hops before, wonder if they are going away? FWIW, I got mine from North Country. I love Warrior.

Gonna be on this side of the water any time soon? You can stop by and get some if you really want to stay in line with the recipe.

Dude said:
I've gotten Warrior hops before, wonder if they are going away? FWIW, I got mine from North Country. I love Warrior.

Gonna be on this side of the water any time soon? You can stop by and get some if you really want to stay in line with the recipe.

I may have to take you up on that offer... I dont need very much and HomeBrewUSA didnt have warrior hops, nor did they say they ever have them... I'd rather stick as close to the recipe as I can, that way if something tastes off I can't blame it on having the wrong hops...

Yeah, if you really want it to be as close as possible to the "real thing" you'll want the Warrior hops if you can get them. Like i said, i used a different hop, and i can definatly tell the difference. Warrior has a taste of it's own (which i really like for most brews). However, FWIW, i actually like my version of this beer better.

Jester said:
I may have to take you up on that offer... I dont need very much and HomeBrewUSA didnt have warrior hops, nor did they say they ever have them... I'd rather stick as close to the recipe as I can, that way if something tastes off I can't blame it on having the wrong hops...

PM me if you want directions, I live not too far off of 64 near the Mercury exit.

I am off Thursday and Friday and I even plan on brewing one of those days.

Somethign still doesn't look right with this recipe. I ran it through Promash to get you an idea on how much Warrior hops to use--but looking at the OG I'm only getting about 1.038. I don't have the recipe with me right now so I can't confirm it in the mag.

If someone can type the exact recipe out I'll figure the specs in promash.

What does the mag say for IBUs and OG?

Yep . . .it's been awhile since I have done an extract brew, but I ran this one through Promash . . . and I got 1.041, which misses BYOs own stats on the beer.

The recipe book indicates that this should be: OG - 1.047, FG - 1.012, IBU - 18, SRM - 9, and ABV - 4.6%.

I went ahead and brewed this over the weekend... everything went well.. I didnt take a hydrometer reading after brewing, so I have no idea what my OG was...

what are most people doing with the apricot extract..?? the recipe says secondary... but the people at the LHBS said it should be added when I keg... Thank again...

Jester

I used the canned puree' when i brewed this. Added to secondary for 2 weeks, then i ended up racking over to a tertiary for (i think) a week. I wanted to get it off the fruit (so it wasn't) too fruity, but still wanted it to clear a bit more. The flavor & aroma turned out really good this way. Just a hint in the finish.

I guess if i were to use the extract i would do it at bottling/kegging, and just add a little at a time until the flavor is where you want it.

Jester said:
what are most people doing with the apricot extract..?? the recipe says secondary... but the people at the LHBS said it should be added when I keg... Thank again...

Jester

I made the clonebrews recipe, but I used cherry extract instead of the apricot. I used 3 oz, and added it to the bottling bucket just prior to bottling. The next time I make this recipe, I'll be increasing the extract to the entire 4 oz bottle.

I did, however, increase the malt/hop bill slightly to increase the alcohol content.

It's mighty tastey after about 7 weeks in the bottle. Even the wife (who normally hates beer) thinks it's mighty good! :D :tank:

butler1850 said:
I made the clonebrews recipe, but I used cherry extract instead of the apricot. I used 3 oz, and added it to the bottling bucket just prior to bottling. The next time I make this recipe, I'll be increasing the extract to the entire 4 oz bottle.

I did, however, increase the malt/hop bill slightly to increase the alcohol content.

It's mighty tastey after about 7 weeks in the bottle. Even the wife (who normally hates beer) thinks it's mighty good! :D :tank:

What did you increase...??? Do you have numbers..?? I was thinking of doign the samething before I brewed this time..

Jester

Jester said:
What did you increase...??? Do you have numbers..?? I was thinking of doign the samething before I brewed this time..

Jester

As a matter of fact, I happen to have my brewlog with me, as I'm hitting the LHBS on the way home. (Still not 100% sure what I'm going to make this weekend)

Original (changes) from CloneBrews

1/2# Crystal 60L - 20 min steep @ 150F
5.5# (6#) M&F Light DME
.5# (1#) F&F Wheat DME

1.5oz (2oz) Tettnanger - 60 min
.25oz Willamette - 15 min
.25oz Cascade - 15 min

1tsp Irish Moss

Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast.

@ secondary (added to bottling bucket) add 3oz Apricot extract (used 3 oz Cherry)
Bottle w/ 1.25 cup extra light DME

OG 1.051-1.053 (1.061)
FG 1.011-1.013 (1.016)
ABV 5.1% (6.5%)

I like the increased alcohol version, I think it balances very well. I'd probably increase the late hop addition a little next time. I'll add 4oz cherry extract on the next batch as well.

butler1850 said:

Hope no one minds me bring back this thread, but... I'm brewing a Apricot wheat and plan on using the Brewcraft Apricot (liquid) extract. My LHBS also reccommended that I add the extract to taste before bottling, although I've also read that you don't want to unnecessarily add air to the brew... so, I guess I just pour some extract in, stir and pull out a sample?

Sorry if this is a beginner question, but... I am a beginner. Thanks.

Back