How homebrewing has affected real life.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:off: Hell yeah! Between Tony Hawk, Tiger Woods Golf, and Grand Tourismo many hours were consumed!

my girlfriend at the time almost broke up with me because of how many hours upon hours I would play Gran Turismo and not spend time with her. she'd get REALLY mad when I started an endurance race. . . she's out of my life now, but I'll always have GT.

There's a lab at my med school with about 20 stirplate/heatplates that NEVER get used...I am always eyeing them, oh the temptation. They also have a ton of unused erlenmeyer flasks too....what a waste. Laboratories in academia are full of brewing things. Their cup runneth over.

If their cup runneth over, you might want to get them some Fermcap drops. :D

Every time i go to a new business or i go to lowes / home depot I always check the water carboy and see if its PET or not.. i think i may have found some full of RO water for 11 bucks at a grocery store

For anyone else my age, the topic of this thread reminds me a lot of the days of Tony Hawk Pro Skater. We would play for hours and hours and hours in college. Everywhere I went, I was like, "I would grind that rail, bust a jump to that ledge, etc." Anyone else in that boat? I'm 30.

I'm 28 and remember acting the same way. The same thing happened with GTA.

When I first started making coffee in a French press I read somewhere that you should take your boiling water off the heat before pouring it over the grounds -- ideal extraction temp is 190° -- which I dutifully did until I went all grain and discovered the heat absorption of grain.

I checked with an instant read thermometer; if you add 190-195° water to your coffee grounds, you get 180-185° in the pot, too low for proper extraction. You actually need to add fully boiling water to the grounds to hit the proper steep temp. Mash strike temp. calculations FTW!

I also use StarSan to sanitize many things around the kitchen. The spray bottle stays under the sink. I've used PBW on stubborn stuck-on dish goo.

In a reverse crossover, I use a Rapi-Kool Cold Paddle, which is normally used for chilling soup stock, to help cool my wort.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a reverse crossover, I use a Rapi-Kool Cold Paddle, which is normally used for chilling soup stock, to help cool my wort.

Everytime I walk past one at work I think about getting one.
When we get used equipment in at work I always go through it to see what I can liberate for brewing.

Heck, all of my friends are chefs, and I never thought of that! What a friggin' GREAT idea! :mug:

My Christmas list has just changed... again. I gotta stop reading HBT before I go broke!

Back