Lager smells sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulasaurus

Reaction score
Why does my lager smell sour?

Steeping grains
CaraMunich 1 .5lb
Crystal 60L .5lb

Extract
6lbs Munich LME
3lbs Pilsner light LME

Hops
1oz Northern Brewer
1oz Tettenger
1oz Saaz

Yeast
Saflager 34/70

This is my first lager and am using an 18 gallon tub to house my primary bucket with ice bath. Ice bottles rotated out 3 times daily. Temps kept at 60 or below since day 2 of the primary. Been in primary 6 days now. The airlock is putting out a sour odor and seems to have come on stronger as fermentation kicked off.

Is this typical of lagers?

Thanks for the info all

I've never smelt a rhino fart so not sure on that one. If I had to guess i'd say it might be somewhat close to a rhino fart possibly.

Note to self, rhino farts are good.

Lager yeast tend to produce all manner of odd smells during fermentation, including sulfur/rotten eggs (rhino farts, btw)...it's a byproduct of the yeasts, and that's why you lager after, to cold condition out stuff like that. Besides all beers tend to be smelly or ugly to look at during fermentation. It doesn't really matter during fermentation...it matters after bottle conditioning and most of those are gone during the process. SO Relax!

:mug:

Lager yeast tend to produce all manner of odd smells during fermentation, including sulfur/rotten eggs (rhino farts, btw)...it's a byproduct of the yeasts, and that's why you lager after, to cold condition out stuff like that. Besides all beers tend to be smelly or ugly to look at during fermentation. It doesn't really matter during fermentation...it matters after bottle conditioning and most of those are gone during the process. SO Relax!

But what at first is a bad smell later smells wonderful to a brewer. I love the smell of beer fermenting. :mug:

Thanks as always Revvy. Figured as much but ya never know. My ales usually smell quite pleasant throughout fermentation.

But what at first is a bad smell later smells wonderful to a brewer. I love the smell of beer fermenting. :mug:

Yes it is a good smell but nothing tops the smell of napalm in the morning
lol reminds me of Apocalypse Now

Last edited by a moderator:
Back