Can you tell a hop from a picture?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jknapp

Reaction score
I found this online:

"I have a hop vine that I'll be bringing down very soon. It has enough for several gallons of beer. I do not know the Hop variety. It has enough hops to keep any beer maker busy for a long time. I'm asking for your help in removing the flowers and 12/one dozen bottles of your home brew. This hop vine is not sprayed, polluted, chemically or genetically enhanced and grows away from dust and car fumes. BRING YOUR CONTAINER FOR THE HOP FLOWERS."

The 'grower' doesn't know what type of hops they are. If I were to post a picture, could any of you tell what type based on an image?

Thanks!

I could try. Get a closeup of the cone. Also, try to put it next to a penny or something so I can get an idea of the length and width. Make sure it's a bigger cone too. They're easier to tell apart.

No, there are only eight cone shapes and hundreds of hops. You can narrow it down by making some assumptions about what would be growing in an area and then comparing cones. Do they have any idea how old the plant is?

Wow, I didn't know there were only 8 shapes. All of mine that I've grown in the past have had some subtle differences. I've only grown 6 different kinds though.

I think the best bet at that point would be to try them. Make a 1-2 gallon test batch and throw some hops in as aroma/flavoring hops. No bittering. If you like the taste, then keep using them. Also, you may be able to narrow it down further when you taste the hops.

Back