Irish Red Ale Quaffable Irish Red (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*UPDATE*
After 5 weeks conditioning in the bottle, I have a beer that is highly quaffable, hold a great head, and is absolutely beautiful to look at! THANK YOU SCHLENKERLA FOR POSTING THIS AMAZING RECIPE!

I will echo pwndabear's excitement. Mine finally carbed up in the keg and became an instant hit over the weekend! I'll have to post a picture soon...while it lasts!

Definitely going to brew your AG recipe of this in the future.

The caramel pils and biscuit both are categorized as "Must be Mashed" by my supplier. Is this still okay to seep or do I need to do something different?

I did an extract batch of this and steeped both the biscuit and the carapils - came out just fine.

yea same here. tell you what, this beer is getting better every single time i crack a new one open

Fricken Lush!!! :D

Hah! In my defense, my wife and I remodeled our home around a dual-tap kegerator - in an effort to make it more presentable for future tastings, brewing parties, etc. Over the past couple of months, we've hosted several parties and it goes without saying: if you have good beer on tap, it won't last very long at any event.

my problem is i have to save a whole 24 case of it for this coming july when we go back up to about 100 miles north of ottowa (from rochester, ny) where i grabbed the water from a pristine lake on our annual camping/fishing/drinking trip. it is going to be VERY HARD to follow through with that.

i suppose i could brew it again, but this brew is indeed extra special because of the water used. and it tastes REALLY damn good.

how important is the des plaines water profile?

No importance. I used city water to boil, wal-mart water to top off.

i suppose i could brew it again, but this brew is indeed extra special because of the water used. and it tastes REALLY damn good.

Do both. One for now, another for the especiale cervesa. Couldn't help with spanish, I am in Monterrey Mexico

so should i try it if my supply shop sells the ingredients?

What are you waiting for....:D

Should I be looking to "harden" my water? My municipality provides "moderately hard" water," total hardness of about 125 mg/L. A tsp of gypsum, perhaps? Can't hurt, can it?

Use distilled water if you wish. The minerals are only important on AG. Your beer will use the water/malt compositions of the extract malt at the time of grain extraction at the maltster. So what you use is little to no consequence.

got everything exactly as described but the extract. the owner of supply store said that I could use 5 pounds of dry briess light pilsen malt extract for a substitute. that is what i bought think it will turn out good?

got everything exactly as described but the extract. the owner of supply store said that I could use 5 pounds of dry briess light pilsen malt extract for a substitute. that is what i bought think it will turn out good?

Without doing the math on the extract. I'd guess at saying you are good.

6 lbs LME vs 5 DME,

Who has a promash/beer tools calculator handy? I'm away from my brewery.

Try entering the recipe into this to check OG/FG and IBUs.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator

will probably brew this soon using dme. i have had the grains crushed in a mason jar for over 2 weeks will they last a few more if i don't get around too it? kind of busy towards end of year

I'm planning on using this recipe for my next batch (come on, payday) but can't find any "special roast malt" on any of the sites I've looked at for buying it. Is there another name for "special roast" that I might be missing? What sort of flavor does special roast provide?

also what are some LME substitutes I could use? I mean with any Light malt extract work? like mutons? Also any Yeast substituion suggestions? thanks!

alright just took my last final of the semester finally have time to brew. just smacked my yeast pack and put 3 gallons of water on the porch so that it turns to ice and i can use it to cool wort tommorow. will let you know how it goes.

its gonna be good. i did some dry hopping with mine and it gives a really nice aroma to the poured final product

When I brewed mine, I fermented in a 6.5 gal carboy. I had to put my blow off tube on it fermented so violentlly!

This recipe sounds great.

I have some questions though

1- When you make the partial boil do you use half of the LME for the boil and half LME at knockout?

2- Will chloramine used by the water service be a problem?

3- Have someone here used Safale US-05 yeast for this beer?

Thanks if someone could help.

Back