Amount of Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crisco87

Reaction score
Okay so now that I know my cider is fermenting nicely; I am wondering how much sugar I should add?
I added 3 lbs of table sugar to 6 gallons of cider and took a gravity reading after the sugar was added and it came out to be 1.070.
Is that all the sugar I should add or should I throw in another pound or so once I rack to my secondary?

You're getting up into wine territory there. Depending on the yeast strain, you could have over 10% ABV already. Cider tastes best at a low ABV, more apple-y and flavorfull. A higher ABV would give you a nice apple wine (see my recipe for an example) that would be dry and crisp, like a white wine.

So, I guess my answer is to ask you what you want. Cider, or wine?

Hmm...well I guess I wanted to make my cake and eat it too. I really wanted an apple-y, high ABV cider. I am going to spice it with a tad of vanilla, nutmeg and allspice.

Hmm...well I guess I wanted to make my cake and eat it too. I really wanted an apple-y, high ABV cider. I am going to spice it with a tad of vanilla, nutmeg and allspice.

Well, I'm not sure how much apple flavor you'd still have if you boosted the gravity any more, but I'm definitely not an expert. I happen to like wine, more than cider, so I'm biased toward the wine flavor. It really isn't too apple-ish, though. If you were drinking my wine, I"m not sure you could even guess what fruit it was made out of, beyond saying, "Oh, it's fruity." More like a pinot grigio type wine taste to it.

Okay. Well then I guess I'll just leave it where it is for this batch. This one is my VERY first one so I'll stop complicating it any further.

Back