Pure Orange juice based yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petes

Reaction score
Have done a couple of fruit wines that called for above - starters were instant action which carried over to the musts when pitched. Haven't progressed to bottling yet so unsure of effect that end.

My question is if same was done for a clover honey mead, would orange taste carry to the bottle?

After reading the small batch/gallon jar threads I've set up my jars and am looking at ideas. Basing around white clover honey, cost/availability factor. Whilst other varieties are available, though not to the extent you seem to enjoy in the US, virtually all producers are on the manuka bandwagon and the consequent UMF rating. Real or imagined.

Thanks BK. That's an angle I hadn't considered. Same yeast strain with and without will have to give it some thought and apply. (Had been heading in another direction).

Basing around white clover honey, cost/availability factor. Whilst other varieties are available, though not to the extent you seem to enjoy in the US, virtually all producers are on the manuka bandwagon and the consequent UMF rating. Real or imagined.

Can you give more info about this? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Sorry EvilTOJ, been off the air a while and just catching up.

Not meaning to ignore, I guess you're referring to the UMF part? Easiest way to explain is suggest you Google up 'umf factor' and read on.

Pretty well every honey producer here has a line of manuka product and all seem to be able to quote a UMF rating, which surprises a little as I would have thought only the big players would be able to support the lab testing involved, given that not all manuka has the factor. Hence the real or imagined

The 'factor' is a great selling point for the tourist and export market - the higher the rating the higher the price.
Manuka makes a very nice, if strong, flavoured honey. Would be great for meads/melomels but is out of my orbit, so I settle for clover as it is the only other bulk variety readily available where I live.

Back