Keg type????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spazus_maximus

Reaction score
Hello all. I just made my first batch of homebrew & am now looking at kegging options....something i know nothing about! I got a small keg from work & am wondering if i can use this for my homebrews????Any advice would be helpful...

keg.jpg
[/IMG]

keg2.jpg

You would have to install standard plugs, either pin lock or ball lock. Whether or not either of these would screw into the existing holes can only be determined by experimentation. As new plugs are relatively expensive compared to used cornie kegs, I wouldn't bother.

However, if you get a few cornies AND the holes check out, you could buy plugs without worrying.

david_42 said:
You would have to install standard plugs, either pin lock or ball lock. Whether or not either of these would screw into the existing holes can only be determined by experimentation. As new plugs are relatively expensive compared to used cornie kegs, I wouldn't bother.

However, if you get a few cornies AND the holes check out, you could buy plugs without worrying.

Thanks for the help...I think im going to pass on using this one.....I have no idea what it was used for in the past & im not sure if its coated.....I think ill just buy a kit.....again thanks

That is just an industrial/laboratory version of the "Corny" kegs we are all familar with. The place I used to work at had cylinders just like that in their lab that were used for deionized water.

Unfortunately, the one in the picture appears to only have NPT bungs in the top which will not work for kegging. I doubt that it's coated, but it does appear to have a good passivated finish on the outside like it should, but the lid is strangley large. Besides, if you don't know what was in it, it's not safe to use for food-grade storage.

Back