Do I pitch another starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomC723

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I brewed my first Belgian style blonde ale a while back. My OG was 1.067, and I used the White Labs WLP-575 Belgian Style Yeast Blend. It fermented like CRAZY! After about 2.5 weeks in primary, I racked to secondary. At that time SG was 1.020. I left it in secondary for another 2.5 weeks. The airlock still bubbles about once every 4 or 5 minutes. Well after 2.5 weeks in secondary, the SG is still only at 1.019. Should I make another yeast starter and pitch it? Or is it ok to bottle? According to beer smith, the estimated FG for my recipe is 1.011.

Thanks everyone!
- Tom

Yeah 1.019 is a little high. You're using a calibrated hydrometer, right (i.e. reading at the proper temp or adjusting the reading based on the temp)? You could pitch another bit of WLP575 to finish it off all the way if you want to get it the rest of the way. How does it taste?

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply! It tastes a little sweet yet... and it smells GREAT! I did check my hydrometer in water, and it looks to be measuring good. I'm adjusting for temp difference. I'll go ahead a get another starter going...

Thanks!
- Tom

I've kept the temp steady at 68*. I did swirl it around a few days ago when I checked the SG (when it was 1.019).

Latest posts

Back