Mash Tun Design Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arod1975

Reaction score
I have Coleman converted mash tun. I am looking to get a better design and looking to see if anyone can refer me to a food grade sealant that can go on the inside of the mash tun. Please send pictures of your mash tun or any design specs that you would like to share.

image-3474910768.jpg

image-3526420077.jpg

image-1947984526.jpg

It was leaking a little bit. I got it sealed for my last batch. Pardon my ignorance, but what is a silicone washer? I have a few rubber gaskets on there now. I was actually looking to permanently seal in the 2 1/2 inch nipple to the mash tun and set up a manifold.

Another question...what is the best material to make a manifold out of? PVC, copper, plastic tubing, something else I'm not listing,

Switch to a silicone washer (a washer made of silicone instead of rubber), it'll seal better. Shouldn't cost more than $0.50 or a buck at homedepot. If possible a "flat" round one, it would have more sealing area over a round-round one (sorry for the bad vocabulary, it's 4am for me, but you'll know what i'm talking about when you see them).

I wouldn't use PVC because of the weird chemical/lead content. Certain types of plastic tubing would be ok, copper and stainless is ideal if you have the time/money.

Take a look at the DIY section, specifically the links/videos in these sticky posts:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/project-locator-69953/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/video-locator-how-69951/

Thanks for the info. Is the silicone gasket ok to put on the inside as well as the outside? I've been looking at some YouTube videos also on manifolds. I think I'm going to price copper tubing tomorrow. I'll let you know what I come up with. Big thanks again!! 🍺

Back