Most Active Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komomos

Reaction score
What is the most active yeast on complex sugars. I don't mean in any case beer yeast.

Brettanomyces spp. will chew through complex sugars more easily than lager yeast, but will do so more slowly.

Thank you very much. This info was very important to me.

Is there any scientific article about that?

Or you can drop a beano tablet into the fermenter, and let the enzymes chop them up into simple sugars.

@tim

Are you sure about that? Where did you read it?

That's the basic function of Beano - it shreds complex sugars that are not digested by humans, but are disgested by intestinal flora.

Search for "beano" here, or "beano fermentation" on google in general.

From what I gather it's a last ditch effort for stuck fermentation, because it tends to result in excessively dry beers.

When you eat two or three Beano tablets, the vast majority of the galactosidase is burnt off by stomach acids that don't exist in wort.

Haven't tried it myself.

I am currently using wyeast 3711 French saison go the first time. That is a very effective yeast. It brought my beer from 1.056 to 1.003 in 72 hours. Won't be as funky as Brett.

Brett is not particularly funky when used as the sole fermenting organism.

Brett is not particularly funky when used as the sole fermenting organism.

Brett is not super attenuative either when used as the sole yeast.

Not sure it is really that much better as a secondary yeast without the presence of pedio and lacto. Takes a long time too.

3711 is the meanest yeast I've used.

Back