Forum style software / web hosting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Focus

Reaction score
Hello, all.

I have been a passive fan of HBT.com for several years and have watched the site grow impressively. Can anyone answer the following questions (I tried asking the administrators, but they're busy, I suppose):

Exactly what is the name of this particular forum / message board software / web hosting program? I've seen it used on about 50 different forum style sites and it works very well for that purpose, so obviously it's pretty common.

Is this format offered as part of a standard or premium website hosting service from a company like Go Daddy? If so, what is the service called exactly?

The reason I'm asking is that I am thinking about this style of site to be used by my small business as a "virtual office space.". The idea being that the company employees and associates - all of about 6 people right now, but we are often geographically separated - could log into the site, work on projects, upload files, and participate in forum style discussions. I would also use the "tiered" access system to allow visitors one level of access (ie. the virtual lobby), clients another level (access to their own projects), and employees wider access to include their own virtual offices.

Is this something the mods can answer, or am I going to have to track down TxBrew himself?

Focus

yeah, vBulletin is hugely popular. depending on your host, they might offer phpBB, which I used in a former life and was perfectly happy with it too.

at work, we still run some horrid Snitz forum, which we haven't patched since 2000. It's less than 1% of the size of HBT and runs like a snail when a single user tries to search, browse or post.

So what is phpBB?

Having checked out vbulletin:

Do I have to have a domain from a provider before I can create a message board with the vbulletin software?

If so, how does one upload a vbulletin message board to said domain?

I'm a very small business and don't have much IT experience, so talk to the lowest common denominator. Something like "first, go here, then do this" language.

Focus

phpBB is a bullentin board built on the PHP language. From the user and admin side, its really no different. It really depends on the hosting facility you go with.

Bulletin boards use a database on the back end, usually a light version of SQL or MySQL since these don't cost money.

The database engine/server has to be installed, as does the forums software you run. Once installed DNS has to be configured so that www.yourdomain.com/forum/ points to the forums software and loads the page. Then you can finish configuring the forums software as the Admin of said software, so that there are categories and users then make their logins and start posting.

It sounds to me like you need to start looking for a hosting provider, and ask them what forums services/software they allow. Its HIGHLY likely that they could do all the installation for a fee and then hand the reins over to you for the rest of the setup and day to day management.

Back