I oxygenated my beer (Im Sure)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mran556

Reaction score
I am almost sure I ruined my beer. I made a stout and transferd it to my bottling bucket from my mr beer keg (basically a bottling bucket)

I just let the beer splash on the bottom of the bucket (20" drop) until the mr beer keg was empty. There were a lot of bubbles in the bottling bucket. Then I proceeded to bottle I dont have a wand so I just placed the empty bottles over the spout.

So Did I ruin my beer? Can I fix it? Will letting it sit longer help?

You will be fine. You did introduce some but nothing you can do now. Carbonate and drink up fast :)

Drink it fast and use the oxy bottle caps. Sounds like a card board beer to me.

But it might be interesting to leave a bottle be for awhile and see what happens

From what I understand, oxygenating an already-fermented beer impacts it's long term shelf life. I've not been there myself, so I can't tell you when off-flavors will typically manifest. Just drink it sooner rather than later, and you should be fine.

PFG is right, it is shelf life that it affects. Don't let these mature. Many beers will improve with time; unfortunately, since you introduced oxygen, yours will probably deteriorate fairly quickly. Drink in the next couple of months and you probably will not notice anything.

bummer its a stout so I wanted to let it age at least 2 months maby 3. I guess Ill shoot for 2 and see how they taste.

Does this also apply if u are transferring to secondary? I don't have a auto siphon so I just drain my primary to secondary which in turn makes it froth up.

Does this also apply if u are transferring to secondary? I don't have a auto siphon so I just drain my primary to secondary which in turn makes it froth up.

yes. if you are using a spigot on the primary to drain get some tubing long enough to reach the bottom of the secondary fermentor before transfering, or don't secondary at all. Many people do not secondary anymore unless using fruit or dry hopping, your choice.

Back