What's Brewing This Weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Well, I just started on my Cream Oatmeal Stout. This is pretty much an experiment. I took a cream stout recipe and modified it with some oats & 2-row and I'm pitching it into a double yeast cake from two pale ale batches! Yeah, I'm thinking the fermentation is going to be crazy so I got my blow-off tube ready! This is basically what I got:

1.5# Pale malt 2-row
1# Quaker Oats
.5# crystal 60L
.5# Chocolate Malt
.5# Roasted Barley
1# Cara-Pils Dextrine

5# Pale LME
1# Wheat LME

1oz E.K.Goldings + .5oz Fuggle @ 60min
.25 E.K.Goldings @ 15min

WLP001 Cali Ale yeast cake

I am making an IPA or an IIPA (depending on cost, 9# of extract is expensive along with 10oz of hops)....still looking for the right recipe.

You know the dopplebock i have been posting about for 3 weeks...................................................yeah, come hell or high water I am going to be making that finally.

No brewing, but I'll be cooking Chili at a neighborhood cookoff and drinking homebrew. Works for me!

Well, we had a discussion about this the other day. I have extract, grains and hops for a Czech pils, but I have steam beer yeast. So, it's either a steam beer style Czech pils, or a Czech pils style steam beer. Take your pick :)

I've got to get a Pub Ale done tomorrow. Might be a long day--as I plan on finishing up some of teh bar and also building a knee wall in the bar room.

Which reminds me--I've got to get some grains toasted. :)

Recipe Wheat Checz's
Style American Wheat or Rye Beer
Batch 4.00 gal

Recipe Gravity 1.037 OG Estimated FG 1.009 FG
Alcohol by Volume 3.7%

Ingredients Quantity Grain Use
0.12 lb American chocolate malt steeped
0.82 lb Crystal 60L steeped
3.75 lb Coopers Wheat kit hopped extract
Quantity Hop Form Time
0.66 oz Saaz pellet 20 minutes
0.66 oz Saaz pellet 0 minutes
0.66 oz Saaz pellet Dry Hop
1.00 unit American Ale yeast WLP001

I just pitched the starter about 30 min ago, just finished cleaning up:ban:

2 weeks, and I have a nice cake to pitch a Baltic Porter on.

Wow, so I poured the wort over the yeast cake of my last brew (APA) and it went crazy! Granted, I probably should not have put two yeast cakes together then pitched, but what the hell. Had constant bubbling in 20 mins and kreusen in the blow off in around an hour! I took this little time-lapse video of the first two hours. It's my first attempt at it so it's not that great, I need to find some software to speed the video up a bit since it's about 3.5 minutes right now, and it really should be like 45 seconds ... anyway, check it out.

I've got nugget & cascade. I want to baseline them on my first batches for 07. I can't bear to use either for bittering so I bought hopped extract to make basic american lagers. I'm using the nugget today just for flavor & aroma, even though its a bittering hop.

I read nugget has a good aroma, which it does in my opinion, and that it can make an interesting beer. We'll see!!

:tank:

I just bottled a Brown Porter this morning, racked a Pale Ale to the secondary and am boiling another Pale Ale (Belgian style) which I have hopes of becoming my 'House Ale'. This will be my first go at transferring new wort onto the cake.

Some Ginger beer soda just wrapped up and AHS Spiced American Wheat is going as we speak. Sampled my rye pale that I bottled the previous week and it's gonna be a definite home run when carb'd.

Just pitched the yeast for a california common. My first time making an ale with a lager yeast. I'm going to "lager" it down in the basement where its about 50 degrees.

decided at the last minute to brew, if it can go wrong it has. Never tried to mash 36lb of grain, and over10 oz of hops....Hopalicious

Late night brew trying to do a double IPA. 36 lbs of grain maxxed out my MLT:
P1010018.JPG

Had a lot of help my brewing partner, my sons and both SWMBO's

1332-P1010020.JPG

1332-P1010021.JPG

I did a Killians Red Clone with 4 oz of lactose yesterday. And a cream ale last weekend. I will be drinking a Bier De Gard I made a few months ago and watching the Saints march in Today.

Brewiz said:
Late night brew trying to do a double IPA. 36 lbs of grain maxxed out my MLT:
P1010018.JPG

Had a lot of help my brewing partner, my sons and both SWMBO's

1332-P1010020.JPG

1332-P1010021.JPG

Brewiz, that is amazing you can get 36# of grain in your MLT. I have a similar setup and have always wondered. Taking it to the limits my friend, that's what you've done. At least I know I should be able to get close with my setup.

How long was your sparge and what was your conversion efficiency?

Nice brew setup, too.

Just got in from running 12 miles and decided it is way too pretty to not brew so I'll figure something out in a few but likely a dunkel weisse.

runhard said:
Brewiz, that is amazing you can get 36# of grain in your MLT. I have a similar setup and have always wondered. Taking it to the limits my friend, that's what you've done. At least I know I should be able to get close with my setup.

How long was your sparge and what was your conversion efficiency?

Nice brew setup, too.

Just got in from running 12 miles and decided it is way too pretty to not brew so I'll figure something out in a few but likely a dunkel weisse.

I actually had to pull of about 2 gal of runnings to get all the grain in. After the mash I heated up those runnings and ran them in during the sparge which was about 2 hours. My og was 21 plato and my efficiency was over 80%. Started the boil with 14 gals of wort and used 11oz of hops.

Smelling that fantastic brewing smell right now. Got a bitter a-cookin' as we speak, so to, uh, speak.

Back