Disconnect if not going to be using for a while?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
If you know you're not going to be using the kegs for a while (let's say 7 to 10 days), do you disconnect the hoses? I was thinking it might save an accidental spill to remove the beer lines but then I also started to wonder if it would be better to also disconnect the gas to save some there.

In my case I leave the CO2 off because I've had a leak when the fridge gets too cold. I'd still disconnect if there is any chance of anything (like cats) opening your tap. It's not like you will be drinking from it and when you get back it would be a good time to clean the lines and faucet anyway.

I'd leave everything hooked up assuming you don't have any leaks. I didn't consider the possibility of cats opening one... now I'm paranoid, lol. If I went on vacation my cat and dog would be boarded but if I did do house sitting I would probably just remove the tap handles and leave everything else hooked up.

Everything hooked up. AS long as your system is leak free, there is no way to loose beer or gas. If you have leaks, instead of bandaiding your process, fix the leak.

I disconnect usually to be safe. If the kegs are sealed well, you should still have some pressure in them when you get back.

i like to live dangerously! as a "for instance...," i decided to wash all my handles, spouts, and caps. well one i put back on and promptly open her up upon the torque step and sprayed a half pint before i realized how to shut it "off." durrrr!

Everything hooked up. AS long as your system is leak free, there is no way to loose beer or gas. If you have leaks, instead of bandaiding your process, fix the leak.

I'm not sure if I have a leak so I guess I can leave it alone. Still on first co2 tank.

Latest posts

Back