What's that smell? - Rhino farts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGB

Reaction score
I'm on my second batch... my first batched (a stout) smelled pleasant while fermenting. This next batch an APA (cooper's kit) smells like rotten eggs (sulfuric). I guess this is the Rhino farts that I've seen referred to on this forum. It's not overwhelmingly bad in the house, but if you enter the room the invisible Rhino's arse is very "in your face." I have good ventilation luckily. Temp is at 64F.

Am I correct in concluding that this is normal gassing and will not harm the beer's taste? It might cause SWMBO to harm me though... :eek:

I'm in the second week of fermenting an apfelwein. I put it in my office. After a few days with the door closed, I walked in. I thought my cat got trapped in and took a crap on the carpet. SWMBO was not home. I was looking for a way to trap more of it for her. It went away after a few days. :D

"Rhino Face Brewing" I like that! :rockin:

Hmm, so if we fed hops to a Rhino and waited for the end product we'd get the same smell coming out of my fermentor?
As much as I love that odor I cannot fit a Rhino in my "fermentarium", so I will have to opt for just sniffing my fermenting beer!

@TipsyDragon

Yeast nutrient is used in meads because there are no real nutrients in honey. Malt and grape juice have more than enough nutrients.

@JGB

Better out of the fermenter than in the beer, I always say :D The scent will go away, and you'll be left with amazing beer.

Latest posts

Back