Keezer Collar Height?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmummert

Reaction score
I found a great freezer on Craigslist (8 CF plus) and got a great price! I am excited to begin my build. I have decided to use stain grad wood for the collar and ultimately stain it with the goal to have fun with with the complete project woodwork etc. While I know there isn't a "right" answer, I am looking for what has worked well for other's keezers and recommendations of what size wood to use for the collars (2x4's, 2x6's or something else)
Thanks in advance to all.
John

It depends on the height of the freezer. For example, I have a Kenmore freezer that will hold an upright Corny without a collar. So, measure first, then decide.

Thanks! The freezer is big enough that I don't need a collar but that seems to be the best way to bring the taps out if you don't have a tower. So really just looking for advice of what looks or works best.
Thanks
John

One thing you might want to consider... Construction lumber 2X6 and under is not really considered "structural". It is fine for studs but not normally used for floor joists. It will be labeled SPF (Spruce, Pine, Fir) and will most likely be a softer wood. If you at least start with material 2X8 or larger (even if you rip it down), it will likely be SYP (Southern Yellow Pine) or another denser soft wood. Go into HD and compare the weight of an 8 foot 2X6 and an 8 foot 2X8. Point is, these should stain and finish better and will likely hold fasteners better.

Ed

I'd use maple if it's available (in fact, I did). Not too expensive and looks nice, is very hard, and dimensionally stable (relatively speaking).

I used 1x7, it just worked for me at the time.
It means a higher lift to move kegs and carboys in and out, but so far my back is dealing with it.
-- WHAT NOT TO DO! --
My only STRONG recommendation is to set the taps on the side, my feet, splash guard, plastic mat, carpet and floor have taken quite a few beer baths because I did not head that warning posted many times here.
Get it right, becuase once you have beer in there, people tend to get really mellow and don't want to change a thing.

Thanks Kauai_Kahuna and AnOldUR. The reason I have asked this question is while I am really looking forward to this project I only want to do it once! Great advice. I plan to connect the collar to the lid so I think I am looking for a 2x6 but will definitely look for a 1x7 either in a hardwood.
Best

Just my two cents-
* Make the collar high enough to fit a keg on the hump and still have room to hook up gas and liquid lines to it. You might thank yourself later when you can squeeze an extra keg in there. I used 2x8 (should have used 2x10) and I have a piece of finish wood on the front that hangs over a coupel of inches.

* Double hinge that lid baby! :) It's not hard to do and you get the best of both worlds. Here is mine if you are unsure.
IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

And yes those hinges hold the weight wonderfully. :D

Yup those are the originals on the bottom and black 3 inch door hinges on top.
If you look above your post you have the answer to your other question. :) The hinges hold the weight wonderfully. In that picture with both the lids open all of the weight of the collar and lid is being held by the stock hinges. Remember you will only have this thing open when you are loading kegs or cleaning it.
Double hinges for the win and you also don't damage any part of the freezer this way.

And seriously consider using 1x8 maple... you'll save a lot of bulk and weight over 2-by pine, and maple looks great to boot.

I'd use a hardwood, Pines don't take a stain really well, A good hardwood with a nice color stain looks amazing.

Hey Josiah...that is a great idea with the dual hinges! I have the same 7.0 cu ft. GE chest freezer that I am converting to a keezer and was worried about lifting the cornies over a 10" collar. This looks like a simple solution to my problems...

Yup, It works perfect. That why I chose to do it that way.
I used D profile weather stripping on the freezer (it comes in strips of two) and the 2by seals great on top of it. Those stock hinges will hold the weight of the lid and collar.
Good bye back pain from hoisting 5 gallons ten inches higher and good bye having to worry about hitting shanks and lines. :)
It was so easy I'm not sure why more people don't do it this way. MAke sure you use 2x10 if you want to put a keg on the hump. I found out the hard way that 2x8 was just a little to small to fit my ball lock. :)

Back