Compression fittings on an immersion chiller - having a problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
This morning I shaped my immersion chiller (50' x 1/2 OD tubing....very similar to this one, and same pipe-fittings exactly) and was getting to work on the fittings......I tightened down the outer nut over the compression ring, and I realized that the entire compression fitting assembly can still just slip right off the pipe. Am I missing something? How is it supposed to be 'attached' to the pipe-end itself?

It may be that your compression fitting is made for 'rigid' tubing. There is a smaller size fitting for the soft copper. Also, you may want to consider soldering your fittings on, then there will not be a concern about leaking in the future.
mark
Beer Diary...

Is it possible that you did not tighten it enough? I've been working with SS and swagelok lately, and was told by an expert to tighten until the thread on the fitting was not visible. I have also connected SS tubing to brass fittings by swapping the SS ferrule with the softer brass ferrules.
It is attached just as the name implies, compression. By tightening the nut, it squeezes and crimps the ferrule onto the tubing. Then the ferrule seals between the tubing and the fitting.

Is it possible that you did not tighten it enough? I've been working with SS and swagelok lately, and was told by an expert to tighten until the thread on the fitting was not visible. I have also connected SS tubing to brass fittings by swapping the SS ferrule with the softer brass ferrules.
It is attached just as the name implies, compression. By tightening the nut, it squeezes and crimps the ferrule onto the tubing. Then the ferrule seals between the tubing and the fitting.

+1, tighten the hell out of that thing. i had your same problem until i just kept going, eventually it won't slip.

Back