Multiple Dry Hop Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noisy123

Reaction score
I am brewing an IPA. The recipe calls for 0.5 oz Cascade, 1.0 oz Centennial, 0.25 oz Simcoe, and 0.25 oz Amarillo. Does the order of addition matter? Should they be added separately every two weeks with the previous addition being removed? Does any of this matter?

All those are dryhopped? Just dump em all in at the same time. You don't need to remove one and add another.

+1

add them all together.

Unless the recipe calls for double dry-hopping, in which case, you would add the first dry hop, then rack off those and add the second.

What would the reason for double dry hopping be? Also, I have 1 oz of oak in there in cubed form. Lots of people tell me to leave it for at least a month. Should I do that? Also, if I am going to be taking a month with the oaking should I do a double dry hop?

Oaking is tricky in that too little time leads to a serious harsh flavor, and too long does as well. One month is kinda the sweet spot most of the time. I would add the oak ASAP and then do the dry hop addition based on the time (7 days = last 7 days of the month on oak prior to bottling). Dry hopping a second time will add to the complexity and bitterness of a dry hop. Kinda like sauteeing onions for a soup and then sprinkling some on top uncooked. You get multiple layers...also like an onion, or an Ogre.

Vinnie Cilurzo (Russian River) double dry hops his Pliny the Elder. It's supposed to give you more aroma with less hops. I'm trying it for the first time with an IIPA. I did 1 dry hop (in the primary) and then a second dry hop 5 days later. 5 days later, cold crash + gelatin for a week before kegging. It will be interesting to see how it comes out.

Back