Stuck mash...911!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The iodine test is so often wrong that I advise people to not even bother. If you know you've been at 150 for 80 min., you've gotten conversion.

I'm with everybody else, drain it and boil it. I gave up on iodine a long time ago too.

Stuck mash refers to the wort not draining from the mash tun. What is the grain bill? 9-1 says ur converted.

After a tip from a homebrewer friend via e-mail, I saw that I was getting husk in the test sample. Got a clean sample, and voila! Conversion. Strangely enough, I still hit all my numbers except the FG, which was 6 points high. PBG and OG were on the money.

Thanks for the replies, though! I usually forget the iodine, and it always works out either way. So I guess I'll forget it altogether.

The iodine test is so often wrong that I advise people to not even bother. If you know you've been at 150 for 80 min., you've gotten conversion.

I've never had it be wrong, and i have had wheat mashes take 90+ minutes to fully convert. Eventually it does test negative as long as you have a clean sample. One drop of wort and one of iodine on a white paper towel or piece of chalk, and it's very reliable.

Back