Biab?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salamander

Reaction score
How much trub should be expected in 5gallon batch using 14.2 lb of grain and 4oz of hop? I'm fermenting in 6.5 gallon carboy.

A fair amount - particularly if you ground the grains a little finer because it is BIAB and did not filter going into the carboy.

Is there a specific reason for your concern/question?

For my system, it is 0.5 - 0.6 gallon loss between trub and fermentation if I filter the wort. I do not know what the effect would be of leaving the wort unfiltered. As for the trub in the boil kettle, I figure 0.25 (1/4) to 0.5 (1/2) gallon, depending on the size and gravity of the batch.

This was my second attempt at BIAB and ended up with 1 gallon of trub in the fermenter. I need to research filtering processes. I mashed at 153 for 90 minutes, raised to 168 for 10 minutes, and didn't sparge. Gravity after boil was 1.072.

>>This was my second attempt at BIAB and ended up with 1 gallon of trub in the fermenter

Thats quite a lot. I did a BIAB recently with 15.75 lbs and had no where near that much trub, though there was a lot.
However my crush wasn't tight, so maybe you have a lot more flour?

Maybe your bag isn't fine enough, and lets in a lot of extra small particles?

Salamander said:
This was my second attempt at BIAB and ended up with 1 gallon of trub in the fermenter. I need to research filtering processes. I mashed at 153 for 90 minutes, raised to 168 for 10 minutes, and didn't sparge. Gravity after boil was 1.072.

I've ended up with a gallon of trub on some batches. The double mesh strainer from NB for $15 is money well spent for filtering the last two gallons. I also use a large coarse mesh bag which has bigger gaps than the voile material often suggested, so I bet bits of grain (Not husks), are getting through after a tight double crush. But it makes great beer so I just keep rolling. At first I thought my efficiency was 82+%......then I realized that I had a gallon of hot/cold break/pellets gunk etc that was throwing off how much actual wort I'd made.

I had numerous batches that had a gallon of trub. It was frustrating to lose that much finished beer. I was using paint strainer bags then. I still use the paint strainer on the inside, but use a voile type bag on the outside. I get anywhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of a gallon trub now, depending on how large my grain bill is. Almost back to where I was when I started with extract kits.

I had numerous batches that had a gallon of trub. It was frustrating to lose that much finished beer. I was using paint strainer bags then. I still use the paint strainer on the inside, but use a voile type bag on the outside. I get anywhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of a gallon trub now, depending on how large my grain bill is. Almost back to where I was when I started with extract kits.

I'm gonna try this on my next one. Same issue here but my crush is really fine!

Back