Pineapple Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anybody tried making it? If so what were your thoughts?

i have a pineapple batch going right now.... unfortunatley i don't believe it will be all that good. it's only been on for 6 weeks or so and i have tried it a few times, just not that good. it smells vomitous as well, just like young pineapple when it's growing.

recipe

2lbs clover honey
1 can pineapple concentrate no preservatives
1 package yeast nutrient
1 tsp champagne yeast
spring water to bring it to 1 gallon.

cold pitch every thing together, shake it like crazy for 5 min, put in bath of hot water 110 degrees until water is room temp. set airlock and forget it.

i will just let it sit for another year and see how it is at that point

i was thinking about making this very same thing, but instead of the pineapple concentrate i was planning on using fresh pineapple pureed. its on sale right now for $2.99 per pineapple.

should the pineapple puree be put in at the start of the ferment or a week after the start like i did with my cyser? my cyser has great flavor right now with adding the fruit a week into fermentation.

your thoughts?

i actually think that in the future if i do a pinapple drink i will rack on to the pinapple after it has fermented out, that way it gets the pineapple flavor. i actually read some where where some one had racked on to a whole pinapple leaves and all for about a year and it was good. i just read that after the fact.

this is a recipe I found somewhere else....what do you guys think....seems like a lot of honey for like 5 gallons

Pineapple Mead

18 lbs Honey (1 and 1/2 gallons, light color)
6 lbs fresh pineapple (3 pineapples)
1 cup corn sugar
1 pack champagne yeast
5 teaspoon yeast nutrient
1 1/4 teaspoon yeast energizer
1 1/4 teaspoon yeast hulls
3 gallons of water

Before starting boil, mixed yeast, sugar,
yeast nutrient, yeast energizer and
yeast hulls to let it start working.
Boiled honey and Skimmed off foam (I use wild honey so I have to do this). Then
Added the pineapple.
Cooled to 80 degrees Then pitched the yeast, put in bucket and put in an air lock.

Started in Bucket
9/5/2003

First Rack to Carboy
9/26/2003
Topped to 5 gallons in Carboy

Second Rack to Carboy
11/4/2003

Third Rack to Carboy
12/20/2003
Added 4oz Glycerine to help
smooth it out and also
2 1/2 tsp of Potassium
Sorbate to help prevent carbonation
in the bottle. Taste very good,
it has a very dominate
pineapple flavor. Will be a
very good mead.

I have wanted to make a pineapple melomel, because I have a lot of friends and family that LOVE pineapple... I just have never gotten around to doing it, because it is hard to talk myself into making something I can't drink (allergic to pineapple).

I made a pineapple mead about three years ago and it was ok but not great. The addition of fresh pineapple in the secondary would definitely boost the pineapple flavor.

scox80 - your recipe sounds good but the sugar isn't necessary (nor is the glycerin) and you should probably double the pineapple, perhaps putting the additional half in the secondary. I didn't see any mention of a yeast. Yeast will make or break your mead. Google a Lalvin yeast chart and choose one based on the flavor profile you're looking for and the fermentation temperature.

it called for champagne yeast....but I am not married to it so I will check out that yeast chart..... Thanks for the advice on the Pineapple...I really want it to have a dominant pineapple flavor.

Pineapple is very Acidic (http://hbd.org/brewery/library/SugAcid.html) I don't know about a mead with pineapple (although I am planning one) but I made a wine from pineapple earlier, and found it way acidic, depending on your variety of pineapple I'd probably use Lalvin 71B-1122, as it metabolizes some of the acid and will leave you with less of a "pucker" I'm planning on using this on my next pineapple wine instead of the Cote de blancs I used last time.

Back