Dunkelweizen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidgerbil

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so my dunkelweizen is done, crash cooled, has aged for a couple of weeks, and I kegged it up the other day. I am having my first glass now. BJCP says that a light tartness is acceptable, but not required. This seems very tart, almost lemony. Not in a bad way, it tastes good, but that does not seem "light" to me.

Here is the recipe
The Brew Hut Dunkelweizen
(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains)
6# Briess Wheat LME
8oz Briess Munich Malt 20L
8oz Briess Caramel Vienna Malt
8oz Briess Crystal Malt 80L
8oz Briess Carapils Malt
1oz Hallertau
Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan) yeast

I had to substitute Vanguard for the Hallertau, due to availability at my LHBS.

I came up shy of the projected OG, should have been 1046, I got 1040.
I nailed the FG dead on, at 1012.

I fermented at 68 degrees.

Any thoughts on what would cause it to be so tart, or if that is normal? I have not been able to find any commercial dunkelweizens at any of the stores around me, so I have not been able to try one to if this is "normal" or not.

I'm farmiliar with the WPL300 hefeweizen yeast and that one, depending on ferment temps you can get the tarty clove like flavor when fermenting below 70 and the banana esters are present when you ferment above 70.

2 batches ago, i put a heating pad around my carboy till the fermentation started, then i let it do it's own thing, it came out more tart than bananaee. This time i left the heating pad on it till i got to my FG and it tastes nice and bananaeee.

I'm guessing that my ferment temp was around 70-75.

My recipe:

7# wheat LME
(first time i used the following, the last batch i upped my specials to 5 oz each)
4oz chocolate wheat
4oz charmel wheat

First batch my hops where:
1oz centenial 12% aau at start of boil
1oz tettenag 4% aau at 30 minutes
1oz centenial 12% aau at 10 minutes

Last batch I did:
1 oz leaf plug hallertrau 4% aau at 60 minutes
1 oz pellet tettenag 4% aau at 30 minutes

I think i'm going to make some of the hop tea and add it to the keg for this last batch, it's quite sweet, but I'm sure swmbo will drink it :) atleast the banana was pretty loud at 1.009 a week ago. I'll be assembing my keggerator probaby thursday so i'll see how it tastes after newyears :)

thank you, that is exactly the kind of information/experience that I am looking for. someone who has used this yeast more than once and knows how it acts, and knows what I mean when I say that this stuff is pretty tart.

most of my tartness was from the hops i put in it, and after about a month and a half it was better.

I'm still messing around with this recipe trying to find out how I like it best and only changing a few things at a time :)

I hope to have this as one of my regular taps setup :) Can't wait to take it AG, which hopefully will be in the spring :ban:

I used both that yeast and the Hallertau hops in a Dunkle I made, but the recipe I used also called for gypsum. It was a little on the tart side, but I wasn't sure it it was the yeast, the hops or the gypsum that caused it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Back