Summit/Chinook IIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henryfdez

Reaction score
Hey, its my first post!

Been brewing about 8 months,Im REALLY hooked :D this would be my 4th beer so far...Im shooting for a pretty bitter IPA with a nice hoppy citrus aroma. I found this on the net and thought Id ask you guys what you think of the recipe...Ive read a lot of mixed feelings towards the summit hops regarding the oniony smell, but other people say theyre great and have more of a tangerine thing going on which sounds delicious. Any help and suggestions are welcome.

5gal batch.

6lbs Briess Golden Light DME
3lbs Briess Sparkling Amber DME
1lb Vienna Malt grains
1lb Carapils grains

2oz Summit @60mins
0.5oz Summit @45mins
0.25oz Chinook @30mins
0.25oz Summit @30mins
0.25oz Chinook @15mins
0.5oz Chinook @1min
DryHop with 2oz Chinooks for 7 days after primary is done.

Wyeast American Ale 1056

I wrote the recipe on hopville and its supposed to come out at 1.076OG, 1.019FG and 132IBU.

The substitute for Summit is Amarillo or Cascade. I have read about garlic/onion smells but it doesn't appear to carry over to the beer. Using them only for bittering and a different hop for aroma and taste should also alleviate this problem if your worried. Swap that Summit at 30mins with Chinook and should be no worries. I have never used Summit but normal hop logic should prevail.

:D I like hoppy beers! Ok, so switching the summits at 30mins shouldnt be a problem and I agree that only the later hop additions should add noticeable aroma...I really hope thats the case with this one.

Any other suggestions regarding when to add the extracts? Do i add em all at the boil start or some at the end?

I would replace the 30-minute Summit and the dry-hopping hops with Citra personally. My last batch was an IPA using Citra and Simcoe and Chinook. I really think the big bold flavor of the Citra hops balances nicely against Vienna malts. That's just a matter of personal preference though. Your recipe looks quite tasty for big hop-heads ;)

with your summit additions at 60 and 30 mins, you won't be getting a lot of flavor from them - so little to no chance of onion coming through, whether that story is true or not. i'd proceed as described.

adding the extract: i'm a fan of adding a little at the start (say, 1 or 2 lbs) and adding the rest in the last 5 mins/flameout.

happy beer-making!

Are you able to partial mash with more grains? Vienna should technically be mashed, not steeped. Is this a full volume boil, or are you topping off with additional water?

Your current hop schedule is the opposite of what I would do. You're putting a lot of emphasis on the bittering addition and overlooking the importance of late additions. I have a similar recipe laying around somewhere that would possibly interest you. However, it is a PARTIAL MASH recipe. I'll re-post when I find it.

Lastly, you don't need to add more carapils since there is a portion of carapils in DME. I would also avoid using Amber DME, especially for this beer style. Stick with Extra Light or Light DME.

I have a similar recipe laying around somewhere that would possibly interest you. However, it is a PARTIAL MASH recipe. I'll re-post when I find it.

As promised... feel free to switch up the hops as desired.

6.50 gallon full volume boil
5.30 gallon end boil batch size
75 minute boil (or slightly longer if necessary to reach 5.30 gal)
1.078 OG
1.015 FG
8.4% ABV
11 SRM
122 IBUs
3-4 week primary, 12 day secondary (with dryhops)

3.00 lbs. Canada Malting Superior Pale Ale Malt @ 60 min 149 F mash
1.00 lb. Rahr Red Wheat Malt @ 60 min 149 F mash
0.50 lb. Weyermann CaraAroma @ 60 min 149 F mash
5.00 lbs. Muntons Extra Light DME @ boil start
2.00 lbs. Muntons Extra Light DME @ 15 min
1.00 lb. Orange Blossom Honey @ mid flameout

1.25 oz. Columbus pellet 16.0% @ 75 min
1.50 oz. Chinook pellet 13.0% @ 10 min
1.50 oz. Centennial pellet 10.0% @ 10 min
1.00 oz. Chinook pellet 13.0% @ mid flameout
0.50 oz. Centennial pellet 10.0% @ mid flameout
0.50 oz. Summit pellet 16.0% @ mid flameout
1.50 oz. Chinook pellet 13.0% @ 12 day dryhop
0.50 oz. Centennial pellet 10.0% @ 12 day dryhop
1.00 oz. Summit pellet 16.0% @ 12 day dryhop

3.00 Liter Starter, White Labs WLP001

Tip: Add honey and flameout hops during mid flameout, when the wort is approx. 160-170 F. With this method, I get better results when using an ice bath as opposed to a wort chiller. That way, I can take advantage of a longer steep to get the most out of the flameout hops while at the same time sanitizing and dissolving the honey without completely destroying the aroma.

I've recently brewed an IPA using Chinook, Summit, and Willamette. I late additioned and dry hopped with the Summit included and got all tangerine and no onion/garlic. If they are fresh or stored properly there shouldn't be an issue with off flavors, imo.

It will be an extract only, no partial mash...bob, what do you suggest I do with the last hop additions? I already have the ingredients so I can only play around with what I have.

3oz Chinook, 5oz Summit and 2oz Cascade.

Ok, so maybe move the 45 min 1oz Chinook addition to 15 mins or 10 mins for extra flavor/aroma??...Im scared to mess around with the Summits any later than 45mins because of the onion thing...maybe when I smell em' Ill change opinions.

I have used summit for aroma additions and dry hopping and had great results. I got a nice citrus aroma and definitely no onion/garlic flavor.

You'll probably get that oniony flavor by using a ton of Summit between 25-10 min. but not so much at mid flameout or dryhop. I get mostly tangerine and this is when I usually add Summit. Check out Oskar Blues Gubna and Founders Devil Dancer clones and do the opposite.

Back