Grolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Grolsch, does any like it?

I am drinking it for the bottles, shame because there is sooo much good bottled beer to drink.
I've given up after 2 Grolsh tonight and started on an IPA Brewed in Burton on trent. You can't get much more Authentic than that.

I looked at the ingredients to make sure they hadn't messed with it and was suprised to see it had some thing called Carageenan in it. On doing a google I'll let them of.

Maybe this should be in drunken Ramblings...I've been to the Pub and had a bottle of Shampoo too. :drunk:

orfy said:
Grolsch, does any like it?

Not me mate sorry!

orfy said:
I looked at the ingredients to makesure they hadn't messed with it and was suprised to see it had some thing called Carageenan in it. On doing a google I'll let them of.

Do they use it for sticking the labels on?

Such a shame what happens to EU beers when they cross the pond. Those poor beers take a beating in those bottles on those warm boats. Just skunks the bejezus out of them.

So hard to find a GOOD EU beer here. I don't mean that it's hard to find a good EU brand, just hard to find one that doesn't taste like butt.

Got to try my first Grolsch recently at a NYC brew fest. God awful. My friend said the amber was better, but other than the bottles, I can't see the appeal of Grolsch.

Wow, I love it... or used to, I can take it or leave it now, but it was a real treat a few years ago. Like a heavier flavoured Heineken.

I actually like it. If you get fresh bottles you still get good head retention and no skunk (though I've definitely had some skunked bottles with no head if they stayed on my shelf or the store for a while). So, hit or miss, but of the big brewers' lagers I like this and St. Pauli the best. The aroma I get is of freshly cut grass, and the taste is nice and crisp. Smoother than Heineken, which I swear is made to taste skunky 100% of the time.

I also use Grolsch or St. Pauli Girl for shandies - 3 parts beer, 1 part ginger beer, a couple ice cubes, a perfect summer drink!

Plus, those swingtops are nice - I bottle in those, hate using caps!

I drank 40 Grolsch's for the same reason a few years ago. I actually don't mind it. Are they still selling the full on 16 oz bottles or have they completely switched to the 15.4 oz bottles? By the end of my 40 bottle binge, I noticed teh last 2 4 packs I bought were half an oz smaller than the rest.

Haven't had one in years. Last time I bought some for the bottles, we boiled our Italian sausages in it.

I used to love it, however the last few bottles I have had were a little harder to drink.
My friend just picked up 110 empty bottles at 10 cents a piece.

I drank 40 Grolsch's for the same reason a few years ago. I actually don't mind it. Are they still selling the full on 16 oz bottles or have they completely switched to the 15.4 oz bottles? By the end of my 40 bottle binge, I noticed teh last 2 4 packs I bought were half an oz smaller than the rest.

Hmm... mine were labeled 16oz, but I hope I didn't get cheated out of my last few oz's. They add up over the course of a batch if I'm looking for 8 bottles/gallon of brew!

Love the bottles, hate the beer. I haven't had a Grolsch in probably 15 years. I kept trying to like it for a while, before I knew what skunking was, and just couldn't do it any more.

The new bottles were made slimmer to pack better and fit in your hand. The fact that they save a half ounce per bottles likely adds up too.

Actually, just checked again - I definitely got the 15.2 oz bottles. That means for every 5 gallons I brew, I'd need an additional 2.1 (rounding up, three) Grolsch bottles to store my batch. The bastards!

I used to really enjoy drinking Grolsch in the early 90's and for some reason I went 15 years or so without trying one and when I did, I didn't like it at all. Maybe it's just my tastes have changed a bit but the bottles I had a couple of years ago sure had an odd taste that I didn't like. Great bottles though!

I used to think Grolsch was the be-all-and-end-all untill I started brewing. I still enjoy it but not as much. I recently drank a case for the bottles.
BTW - Grolsch is now owned by SABMiller.

i like it in a can but i have only bought about one can in the past 3 years or so, just no reason to when theres far more distinctive, interesting and cheaper euro lagers

Latest posts

Back