TN/Northern GA/Southern KY - Hop Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you look in your e-mails you will find the link. Seems to me that it was sent around 11/14.

That would work for someone using outlook. I go through a mail server that does not automatically store my emails.

Never mind, I found it! I ordered some good s**t too...

Galena needs 3 to make 11lbs, and Cascade needs 3 to make 44lbs.
Ya'll know there is a shortage... better stock up!
As for storage, I think we can vacuum seal and store in the freezer as good as any warehouse or LHBS!

Ok, I just looked at the spreadsheet for the first time in a couple weeks. What happened to it? Almost all of my selections are gone, and the contract sheet is gone. Did they not have the hops we were looking for? Are we not doing any contracts for next year and beyond?

Ok, I just looked at the spreadsheet for the first time in a couple weeks. What happened to it? Almost all of my selections are gone, and the contract sheet is gone. Did they not have the hops we were looking for? Are we not doing any contracts for next year and beyond?

Dave and I are trying to get this buy finalized and we are doing some things to make sure we record who was in on the buy at the time the hop hit the 11# multiplier.

Dave and I are trying to get this buy finalized and we are doing some things to make sure we record who was in on the buy at the time the hop hit the 11# multiplier.

We could schedule a half-day UFC match to duke it out over who gets the last pound of each. Then we could spend the other half brewing.

GR Tettang is at the half-way point, originally at 17, now 15#. A decision needs to be made whether to keep the contract at 22# or decrease to 11#. Remove: 4# or Add: 7#

2# more of Cascade needs to be filled. We are editing our contract total to 44#, instead of 33#.

A couple more of galena have been dropped, so it is only at 6#. This one may be cut if it doesn't fill.

Bobby is going to become the hop nazi and make decisions tomorrow upon what to keep/cut.

Well let's negotiate before the holocost. I'll add another cascade. I would add another tettnanger but I already have three. Everybody else can step up too. Like Marc said there could be a shortage. Everybody Antty up. I guess palisade and galena ain't gonna make it either. What can I say guys, I tried.

Hopocost??

I dropped 1/2 pound for 6 varieties to try and help out! My sweet Galena; I fear I'll never get to know thee, but will cherish the times we had.

well if the Gelena is going to fall off, I could replace it with another Cascade to help move this along. But, please don't ask me to give up my Tett!
No Gelena, anyone willing to split their Magnum with me?

I just replaced my Galena with a pound of Cascade, we're at 44 now.

I think I originally planned to buy 3-5 pounds and ended up at 15.

So we got the price quote in for everything except Magnum, which was left off for some reason. The sheet is updated with current 2011 pricing. I've also added some pricing to the 2012 contract sheet.

Fijidave12 said:
So we got the price quote in for everything except Magnum, which was left off for some reason. The sheet is updated with current 2011 pricing. I've also added some pricing to the 2012 contract sheet.

Sweet.

Which hops got cut? I went from 15 pounds to half that I think. Nevermind, my Zoho link sent me to some mysteriously strange hop buy spreadsheet. The original is back.

I will call our guy at Hop Union tomorrow to ask him to move the cascades to 44#, add the Magnum, take the Tettnang to 11#. Unless something changes in the next 12 hours the Galena will be deleted.

for the 2012 yr are we gonna do the 1yr contract on them or what? what would be the latest we could and still get those prices?

Here is what hops we are contracting for in 2012 & 2013:

Cascades 11#
Centennial 22#
Citra 33#
Columbus 11#
Falconer's Flight 11#
NZ Motueka 11#
NZ Nelson Sauvin 11#
Simcoe 33#
Sorachi 11#
UK Kent Goldings 11#

Cascades 11#
Centennial 11#
Citra 33#
Columbus 11#
Simcoe 11#
Sorachi Ace 11#
UK Fuggles 11#

What do you guys think? We don't have any Hallertau, Tettnang, Northern Brewer, or any Magnum in any year. We don't have Falconer's Flight in 2013. Do you think the amounts are right?

What's going on with the spreadsheet, do I need to re-do my order?

I just tried to call you to see what you are needing. I could possibly take some off of my order and put them on your order. I don't need that many hops anyways. What do you want:drunk:

I am thinking we should add Hallertau and Willamette to both years, what do you guys think? Any other hop you guys think we should add to our contracts?

I need a little clarification on the purpose of "contracting" the hops. The contract just guarantees we're able to get the varieties we want, like simcoe, amarillo, etc. right? Can't we get the less in-demand hops like Magnum, Willamette, etc. whenever we want as long as we order in 11# increments? I was thinking we only needed to contract for hops that are in high demand; if you anticipate Hallertau, Willamette, or some of the bittering varieties to be in high future demand then I definitely think we should add them.

Maybe up Simcoe, Centennial and Cascade to 22# in 2013?

I need a little clarification on the purpose of "contracting" the hops. The contract just guarantees we're able to get the varieties we want, like simcoe, amarillo, etc. right? Can't we get the less in-demand hops like Magnum, Willamette, etc. whenever we want as long as we order in 11# increments? I was thinking we only needed to contract for hops that are in high demand; if you anticipate Hallertau, Willamette, or some of the bittering varieties to be in high future demand then I definitely think we should add them.

Agree with at least 22

If need be, you can cut a pound or two from my order, I double ordered most varieties anyways. I'm not around here much any more, if you need to get me, just shoot me a pm, i'll get the email notification.

_

If need be, you can cut a pound or two from my order, I double ordered most varieties anyways. I'm not around here much any more, if you need to get me, just shoot me a pm, i'll get the email notification.

_

I think we are spot on right now. I moved some stuff around and I am sorry to those who feel slighted by it. Nealf, we had to remove a couple pounds from your order, you were the last to order on those varieties.

US Hallertau is sold out for 2012. There is just a little run on hops right now and I want to ensure that we have some hops that we commonly use.

Contracts are future promises to buy hops at a given price. If you contract to buy 22#'s then you must buy 22#'s. If you don't take delivery during the year usually at the end of the year you must take a balance delivery at the contract price. Not contracting Hops like Magnum or Willamette means you will pay spot prices which is what we are paying now. We could see prices in the 10 to 13$ for spot buys in 2013 for some of the aroma hops but you might see prices at your LHBS of around 3$ an ounce. Since most of us buy through a LHBS Spot prices to us are wonderful. If we were a small brewery any increases would eat into our profits.

The risk lies with the man with his credit card on the line. If the MOBS group falls apart by 2013 then Bobby will still be responsible to buy all the hops contracted. Then he would have to try to sell them to get his money back. Trying to resell Williamette, Brewer, Golding and Cascade he would probably break even (maybe) after packaging and shipping. If we up amounts of Simcoe contracts and someone plants 4000 new acres of it and prices drop your stuck with hops you will lose money on. If spot prices go way up there is the possibility they would let you out of the contract and sell your hops on the spot market. But only if it benefits them. If there is still a MOBS group we all would save by having these all under contract when prices rise.

Contracts are future promises to buy hops at a given price. If you contract to buy 22#'s then you must buy 22#'s. If you don't take delivery during the year usually at the end of the year you must take a balance delivery at the contract price. Not contracting Hops like Magnum or Willamette means you will pay spot prices which is what we are paying now. We could see prices in the 10 to 13$ for spot buys in 2013 for some of the aroma hops but you might see prices at your LHBS of around 3$ an ounce. Since most of us buy through a LHBS Spot prices to us are wonderful. If we were a small brewery any increases would eat into our profits.

The risk lies with the man with his credit card on the line. If the MOBS group falls apart by 2013 then Bobby will still be responsible to buy all the hops contracted. Then he would have to try to sell them to get his money back. Trying to resell Williamette, Brewer, Golding and Cascade he would probably break even (maybe) after packaging and shipping. If we up amounts of Simcoe contracts and someone plants 4000 new acres of it and prices drop your stuck with hops you will lose money on. If spot prices go way up there is the possibility they would let you out of the contract and sell your hops on the spot market. But only if it benefits them. If there is still a MOBS group we all would save by having these all under contract when prices rise.

Well said Don. It is my money on the line, but I feel OK about that at this time. The reason the hops are so low in 2012 is due in large part to how many # we are buying this year. If someone buys 3# of Cascades this year they probably won't need more than 1# in the following year. I can see maybe upping the amount of the 2013 Cascades and Centennials. Just remember that the 2012 Crops aren't available for delivery until 2013 and the 2013 isn't available until 2014. Projecting out that far is a difficult thing to do and Dave and I have spoken on the subject at length. We don't want to get over our heads too much, but we also don't want to have to buy hops at $3 oz either.

That's why you try to plan out your brews and only buy for a year at a time. Fresh hops every year, and I just sell what's left over.

_

WHAT!! I didn't even know about this thread. I thought all our hops on the last spreadsheet were going to carry over to this one. All I see for me is like one pound?? Ughhhh

If you're interested in about 9 pounds of Galena, I know a couple of us will help you fill that to 11! :ban:

Back