1st time fermentation: question/worry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of Pale Ale from a kit. Boil - Plastic Fermentation Bucket -Dry Yeast sprinkled on top and very lightly stirred. I specifically followed all directions present with the kit. I did forget to take an Hydrometer reading however. I finished adding the yeast at 2:00PM Friday.
Question: The "bubbling" began about 8 hours after and continued Saturday. By Sunday it had slowed down quite a bit, maybe a bubble a minute and now(Monday) I am recording a bubble once every 2 minutes.
I tried to research the forum before posting but still need a little reassurance or advice. Like my first batch to one of many great brews.
Thanks in advance.

First question, what type of yeast did you use? Some yeast strains, especially some of the dry yeast like Nottingham's and Safale, ferment out very fast. I have had ferments in as little as 24 hours.

If you're still concerned, wait a few more days and then take hydro readings on two consecutive days. If there is a change, fermentation is still occuring. If there is no change and the reading seems WAY above your estimated FG, go ahead and re-pitch. If there is no change and the reading seems to be right on target, congratulations, you have beer!

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure of the type of yeast used. The kit was a True Brew Pale Ale kit. The packet of yeast was just labeled Ale Yeast in the instructions. I tossed the packet away after using.
I'll follow your instructions. What is the easiest way to take the samples, minimizing contamination? Will taking the lid off and using a sanitized baster to remove a sample work, or is there a better way?

Sounds alot like my first brew(2 wks ago). 5 days into primary ferm. and no bubbles. I used Nottingham dried Ale yeast. I bottled after 8 days which in hindsight was probably too soon. Stable hydrometer readings are your indicators to fermentation. I've heard 10 days is about as long as you want your beer in your primary ferm. First I've heard of rapid Nottingham ferm. but I'll attest to it. Relax brother and good luck!!

I take samples just the way you describe, with a sanitized turkey baster, works well for me. If you used a generic packet of yeast (which it sounds like you did), I would go purchase some nottingham's or safale and pitch it, that generic yeast is not always the best quality. In the future, I would use one of the brand name dry yeasts, or switch to liquid when you feel like you're ready.

Ridge Runner said:
I've heard 10 days is about as long as you want your beer in your primary ferm.

Nah--you could leave your beer in primary for weeks with no negative effect.

cweston said:

Yeah, my best beer to date sat in the primary for 3 weeks, no issues with it at all. I'm pretty sure it takes over a month for off-flavors from dead yeast to develop.

No one in this thread has said anything about the 1-2-3 rule as a guide line. One week in the primary, two weeks in the secondary, and three weeks in the bottle.

Moundbrewer said:
No one in this thread has said anything about the 1-2-3 rule as a guide line. One week in the primary, two weeks in the secondary, and three weeks in the bottle.

Rules are made to be broken
And I dont really like that rule, it is recommended with the yeast im using now (WLP565 Belgian Saison I Yeast) to leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks. And some beers are going to take longer then 3 weeks to condition. But thats my two cents.

TheJadedDog said:
In the future, I would use one of the brand name dry yeasts, or switch to liquid when you feel like you're ready.

What is the difference between using dried yeast and liquid? Does liquid need any preporation like dried yeast does or can you just throw it in.

In the UK a pack of safale dried yeast is about 99p whereas a pack of liquid yeast can cost around £5:00

Geordiepete said:
What is the difference between using dried yeast and liquid? Does liquid need any preporation like dried yeast does or can you just throw it in.

In the UK a pack of safale dried yeast is about 99p whereas a pack of liquid yeast can cost around £5:00

There is really no difference except with dry yeast you are pitching a LOT more cells then liquid if you didnt make a starter for your liquid. About the only real difference is that there are a lot more oprions with liquid as compared to dry.

In either case follow the instrutions on the pack of yeast and you'll be fine.

cweston said:

Yeah, I was totally impatient with my first batch. Getting ready to cook up my 2nd batch this weekend(APA extract kit). Going to try the 1-2-3 method this time.

Back