California Common- Secondary Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilwiggum

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post! Novice is looking for some advice. I just began primary fermentation of a California Common (Wyeast California Lager) in a 5 gallon bucket in my new temp controlled freezer.

I know there is a bit of debate whether secondary fermentation is necessary but according to Palmers How to Brew, it is usually necessary for lagers.

Since this beer uses lager yeast, should I secondary? I have a carboy that I haven't been using.

Thanks for the help on this and all the other forum questions I've been looking at!

It all depends on your taste preference. If you lager it, it will taste more lager-y. If you don't, it will be more ale-y. Personally, the last time I used this yeast, I lagered it for about 2 weeks, and I didn't really care for the results. It just seemed like the beer was missing something. Sort of like it was a little too clean. Not enough body. I would have liked a little more maltiness.

Cool, I'll probably just leave it in primary. I've never used lager yeast before and I was worried not moving to secondary might cause some problems.

By the way, I used to live in Madison and I started homebrewing again to ease my withdrawal from all the great beer up there I can't get down here!

This is one of my favorite styles. If you want to stay true to the style you should ferment your the lager yeast @ ale temps. But that's the great thing about homebrewing, it's your call.

Cheers....:mug:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. This isn't really a true lager yeast.

I actually just moved back to WI a few years ago after living in a number of different places. Just got tired of having to fly all of the time to visit family and friends. It's amazing how when you move away, everyone thinks you need to come back to visit them.

This California Lager yeast behaves more like an Ale yeast with temps around 58-68...

As far as secondary, don't confuse Palmer's language with forum language... people in this forum refer to racking their beer as secondary fermentation. Palmer refers to the conditioning phase as secondary fermentation which happens even if you don't rack your beer unless of course you bottle too soon. (which is why many leave their beers in their fermenter for 3-4 weeks)

With this yeast, I wouldn't worry about transferring...

This California Lager yeast behaves more like an Ale yeast with temps around 58-68...

As far as secondary, don't confuse Palmer's language with forum language... people in this forum refer to racking their beer as secondary fermentation. Palmer refers to the conditioning phase as secondary fermentation which happens even if you don't rack your beer unless of course you bottle too soon. (which is why many leave their beers in their fermenter for 3-4 weeks)

With this yeast, I wouldn't worry about transferring...

Actually, most folks on the forum would do what you did, and clarify the distinction, between secondary fermentation and a secondary vessel. But it's definitely NOT forum language to call racking to a secondary, "secondary fermentation," Most of the time many of us would actually clarify further by referring to the secondary as "bright tank."

Actually, most folks on the forum would do what you did, and clarify the distinction, between secondary fermentation and a secondary vessel. But it's definitely NOT forum language to call racking to a secondary, "secondary fermentation," Most of the time many of us would actually clarify further by referring to the secondary as "bright tank."

You don't have to call it Forum language, but the point is that there is a lot of confusion when the term "secondary" is used...

I'm just doing my best to clear that up...:mug:

I'm brewing right now with the 2112. It's been almost 3 weeks. I have a sealed single stage fermenter and debating 3 things as I have never secondaried yet as all my beers have not been lagers and never felt the need to especially since my fermenter is sealed. It's been a 59-62 degrees.

1. I haven't taking a gravity reading yet cause I just want to leave it and take the reading when I keg it. I figure in 4 weeks it will be done. How long to let it sit?

2. Add gelatin in the final 5 days in the primary?

3. Add gelatin in the final 5 days and put it in a secondary vessel?

4. Add gelatin in the after the 4 weeks and leave for 5 days more in the primary?

Thoughts?

I was also wondering what transferring to a secondary would do for a california common? If I pramaried it for about 3-4 weeks then transfered to a secondary in the fridge would it give it more lager characteristics? or could i do that in the primary, or is it even worth doing?

I added the gelatin. But overall I wasnt a fan of the california common yeast, it has a bit of vegtable taste from the yeast to it after sitting for a while.

We added apricot which made it better, but in the end the kolsh ale is much better IMO to get thal lager style despite its an ale yeast when you cant brew at the tradittional lager 10 deg celcius temps.

Latest posts

Back