Is it worth it to get the ice pack when ordering liquid yeast online?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold pack while shipping liquid yeast.

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ice pack is usually regular temperature by the time I get it. So pretty pointless and I stopped getting them. At least I could reuse the ice packs I got originally to bring mylunch to work. Otherwise, save your dollar.

Yes, I do it, but I wouldn't order liquid yeasts during the summer because as mosquitocontrol points out, it isn't cold by the time it arrives. I either get it from the LHBS or when I make a drive down to Austin I stop and AHS.

When I did order yeast online, I would get the ice pack option. I figure it must keep the yeast cooler for longer than with no yeast pack, and probably provides a nice thermal mass buffer against temperature swings. But now I get my yeast at the LHBS on the rare occasion that I buy yeast. Harvesting yeast is awesome.

I have always chosen the ice pack option but frankly It's been a mixed bag for me but I will say that distance matters. I am in Montana and when I have ordered from the Midwest vendors the smack packs normally arrive intact. I recently ordered from another vendor that was further away and the 2 packs arrived bloated despite ice packs and secure packaging. The vendor did the best it could to protect the yeast so I don't fault them. I think the extra time, distance, and handling contributed to the end result. Montanaandy

I voted yes, but only because it's starting to get hot summer temps. During the cooler months of the year I would just save the dollar.

I ordered liquid yeast one time with an ice pack, and by the time I got it, it was warm (80s). I made a starter, not much happened, pitched, and it took two days to start up. A lot of the yeast probably died... but it still worked it just took more time. Still, its only a dollar so maybe it'll reduce the time the yeast spends in the warm weather?

Even if its melted by the time you get it, at least it kept the yeast cooler for longer. If I had the option of having the deliverer put a fresh icepack in before sitting it on my front porch in 90 degree weather then I'd pay another extra buck or two. And those things are re-usable and great for using in coolers for day trips and for keeping the cooler contents from becoming water logged.

If folks are getting the icepacks to keep for later, you realize you can make your own?

Dishwashing liquid in heavy-duty resealable (or vacuum-sealed) bags is all you need.

I just purchased some liquid yeast recently without the ice pack and it was ruined/killed off. Put it into a starter and four days later - nothing. I agree, during the summer months, the only way to do it is either harvest yeast or go to your LHBS. But since I live in southeast Texas, even in the winter I'd order it with an ice pack.

Latest posts

Back