Motor good for grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mose

Reaction score
I have a motor I scavenged off an old delta scroll saw. It has 1750 RPM and 1/10hp. I have noticed other threads using 1750RPM and gearing it down, but they seemed to have more fraction of a horse.

I am planning on making a go at the concrete rollers I read about on here. Anyone else try that with any success?

Any words of wisdom on glazing or the life of these rollers? Das Wife is thinking about using it to make all grain bread as well.

Thanks

The motor should work fine but you'll want to use a pulley to slow down your rollers. It's not the HP you are worried about but the surface feet per minute of your rollers. I use an old furnace blower motor (1/5HP) spinning at 1050RPM. It's reduced to give me 120sfm with a 3 inch roller.

Thanks,

Any pointers where to source bushings, pulleys and a belt?

It's not the HP you are worried about but the surface feet per minute of your rollers.

Surface feet per minute? Why not just stay with RPM's? It would make any calculations easier when choosing pulley sizes etc.

Surface feet per minute? Why not just stay with RPM's? It would make any calculations easier when choosing pulley sizes etc.

With FPM you can get better needed HP numbers than just roller rpm's, heck a 10" roller mill will take 5 times more hp for the same given rpm's. The FPM would also be in crazy high FPM speeds also like into the folur speeds. Come on Catt 22 you know better than this.

Beemer,

Duh, disregard my comment on this. I misunderstood the post. It was late...

Thanks guys,

Looks like I'll be getting to know McMaster and Auberins very well over the next few months.

Anyone think the concrete rollers are a bad idea? The other threads didn't seem to report back after extended use, but nobody seemed to think it a bad idea.

Thanks guys,

Looks like I'll be getting to know McMaster and Auberins very well over the next few months.

Anyone think the concrete rollers are a bad idea? The other threads didn't seem to report back after extended use, but nobody seemed to think it a bad idea.

Not a bad idea really, but IMO it's a lot time and effort to build a mill. Mills aren't really very expensive. I would get a low end Crankenstein or something similar. Unless you just want to do a challenging build project, of course, then definitely go for it.

The retail rollers aren't really that bad, what about $100 for a cheaper set, not the end of the world, but if I blow a little concrete on a try no real loss either. It would be a fun project, and I can toss the $100 bucks at a PID and SSR/Sink set up for the 1st stages of the ebrewery.

If I can get it to work I'll post up on the build with some pics, if not I'll fade off in shame... and buy some rollers.

Thanks again.

A friend of mine's into rock and stone cutting, used his wet bath grinding wheels with a track to slide marble stock making custom 4" diameter 8" long rolling pins. The ends were drilled out with manufactured oilite bushings inserted extra deep with epoxied brass rings retaining the bushings. Stainless shafts with marble handles that had threaded stainless inserts.
I was thinking the same way but use a high grade fine sand cement mix on 1/2" rod stock thru PVC tubing, machine plastic end caps with a snug shaft bore and the PVC ID for concentric centering.
Use spray mold release, heat the PVC it will expand with a heat gun to be reused or just make two identical forms.

I was wondering about the release of the roller. the plan was to use PVC as the molds with a wood encap cut on a circle jig, either router or drillpress, so I can center the 1/2 shafts with a cross pin or two drilled through.

I think if I use some of the fine grain concrete like they use for countertops I might have a shot, after vibrating the heck out the sides to keep down the pitting.

I'm a small time woodworker around the house handyman type so these projects involving metal, gears, and high voltage electricity are stretching me, which is good.

I've been doing extract for a couple years and recently got the bug to go AG.

Back