Smoked porter/stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzombiekitty

Reaction score
I'm gonna take a crack at a smoked porter/stout partial mash and I'm looking for critiques before I buy the items needed.

So far I've thrown this together. It's sorta random based on descriptions of the malts at AHB.

5lb Light DME
2lb Victory Malt
2lb Special Roast
1lb Chocolate malt
8oz smoked/Rauch malt ('m guessing this is too high)
8oz dextrin
8oz roasted barley

60 mins 1.0oz Nugget
45 mins 0.5 oz Fuggles
30 mins 0.5 oz Fuggles
15 mins 0.5 oz Fuggles

Yeast: ????? Was thinking of going with a wet yeast this time, but I dunno what to use.

Hopville gives me SRM of 49, OG of 1.78, FG of 1.021, IBU of 33.3. I don't trust the IBU calculation though.

Any suggestions?

I think you hops are to much, I would think it would conflict with the smoke malt. I am doing a Smoke porter next and I want the smoke to be the show case in the beer so my hops will be enough for bittering and a small amount of flavor.

That is either way too much peated malt or not nearly enough beachwood smoked malt.

That is also a metric buttload of victory/special roast.

I would consider maybe adding some crystal but otherwise limiting the crystal and toasted malts to 2 lbs. Then up the beechwood smoked malt to at least 3 lbs (to get something like Alaskan, more like twice that).

Peated malt? Which is the peated malt?

it will say peated malt when ordering

Ok, AHB says "use sparingly" so I figured a small amount would add a lot of flavor.

If that is peated malt way to much. If you are using beechwood smoked malt than eight ounces will not be noticeable for the most part. the last Smoked porter i brewed had all the 2 row smoked and it was amazing!

If that is peated malt way to much. If you are using beechwood smoked malt than eight ounces will not be noticeable for the most part. the last Smoked porter i brewed had all the 2 row smoked and it was amazing!

The description from AHB:

"Rauch malt is a German wood smoked malt that will contribute a smokey flavor and aroma to beer. It is the key malt used in the classic German Rauchbier style and many other smoked beers. Rauch malt should be used sparingly because its aroma and flavor can easily take over a beer."

I'm not looking for something with a ton of smokiness. I don't want it to take over the entire flavor profile. I want a nice hint of smokiness.

Adjusted Recipe:

5lb Light DME
1lb Victory Malt
2lb Special Roast
8oz Chocolate malt
3lb smoked/Rauch malt
8oz dextrin
8oz roasted barley

60 mins 1.0oz Nugget
15 mins 0.5 oz Fuggles

Yeast: ????? Was thinking of going with a wet yeast this time, but I dunno what to use.

london or scottish ale would work fine, Denny's Fav is awesome but might be hard to find right now

My American Smoked Stout was very well-balanced with the smokiness and used a full five pounds of Rauchmalt. You can't really use too much; if you want subtle, you're still talking three pounds, at least, especially competing with the roasty flavors you have going on.

Drop all hop additions except bittering hops; roasty/smokey work great together, but you don't want hop flavor conflicting in there, even earthy hops like Fuggles. Bittering only.

With 3 lbs, I think it will be at a level that its definitely there but it won't be at all overpowering. I think thats a good place to start if you want a fairly light smoke character. You are more likely to want more than less in the next batch, but its best to start small as tolerances for smoked malt vary widely.

New Adjusted Recipe:

5lb Light DME
1lb Victory Malt
2lb Special Roast
8oz Chocolate malt
3lb smoked/Rauch malt
8oz dextrin
8oz roasted barley

60 mins 1.0oz Nugget

Yeast: Wyeast London Ale

Opened a couple bottles last night.... not my favorite beer. Too much smoke flavor. Should have used a fraction of that smoked malt. I also under carbed it I think.

Oh well. still drinkable, but I'm not going to go crack one open as easily as I did my other beers. Was an interesting experiment though. That's how ya learn.

Back