What temprature to ferment at with Wild Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChillyP

Reaction score
So I've done the 'Capture Wild Yeast' tutorial and I have a colony of Wild Yeast. I'm unsure what temperature to ferment a test batch at. I've built a colony up through starters that have been at 65 degrees, but I wondered if there's a better way to determined the correct temp to ferment at.

I have no idea, but my instinct says that you want to go as cool as possible, so you get the funky flavors, but not tooooo much. I'd do the initial phase at 62, then ramp it up to 68 after high krausen to dry it out.

Cool thanks for the info. I've got two starters going at different temperatures (62,65) right now. I'm going to sample the starters and determine which I like better. Then go into a full scale test. Thanks for the help.

Cool. Keep us posted.
Also, where are you located? Meaning: Is this city yeast, country yeast, North, South? Is there anything around that would affect the type of yeast you collected (orchards, forests, vineyards, suburbs)?

City: Spring, Tx (North of Houston)

Not sure what could affect the wild yeast. There's Pine trees and oaks, but I got it behind my house which backs up to a retention pond that was empty at the time. It was in the mid 70s when I caught it. I've smelled it and it doesn't smell any different from other yeast I've used (White labs).

Latest posts

Back