Cleaning the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew my second batch in a few days and have started to get a few things in order. While checking my equipment, I removed the cover from my plastic fermenting bucket (it was just layed on top loosely) and noticed the bucket smelled of beer. Ok, I know that it is used for beer, and has been filled with beer, but I cleaned it well after bottling two weeks ago. It was only used once and I found it a little strange. I was wondering if it's a problem or just one of the things that go along with using a plastic fermenter. Will another quick wash before sanitizing do the trick or is a beer smell the norm.
As I read my question it almost sounds comical. Asking if smelling beer in beer making equipment is normal:D
I'm concerned about sanitation is all.

Thanks

Tommy

It's plastic and will absorb the odors but won't hurt new batches. From time to time I soak mine in unscented bleach then wash. When it comes time to brew, I just sanitize and go.

Wild

It's plastic and will absorb the odors but won't hurt new batches. From time to time I soak mine in unscented bleach then wash. When it comes time to brew, I just sanitize and go.

Wild

Back