strawberry rhubarb what do you all think of this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeekysheep

Reaction score
trying to make a rhubarb beer for a for a friend ( having never had rhubarb myself i looked up the flavor profile online)

i figured i would use the sour from the rhubarb and add some sweet strawberry & lactose

3.3 lb light malt extract
2lb dry wheat extract
4lb strawberries
4lb rhubarb
1 1/2 cup lactose
1oz hops 45 min boil ( what kind?)
1/2oz finishing hops( what kind?)
1tbsp Irish moss

not sure on the yeast probably just a clean finish ale yeast

not sure when to add the fruit if i boil it i would need pectic maybe last 5min of the boil then put in primary ?

or maybe boil half for 30min and add half to secondary

be careful with the rhubarb especially if it is fresh. The leaves are poisonus, and the roots are a natural laxative (very strong) the only part you can eat is the stems, and they are best when they turn slightly red. Additionally 4 lbs of rhubarb is a lot, you may want to make a "Rhubarb Pie" filling and add that to the boil at 5 minutes left.

k i will look up the pie filling i am planning on getting the rhubarb from a farmers market since i don't have my own and my friend lives 3 hours away

Brilliant! You just gave me a great idea for my father in law. He LOVES strawberry rhubarb pie but isn't a big drinker. However he tried my first scottish ale and said it was outstanding which shocked the hell out of me. I'd love to figure out a recipe he'd like and print up some labels to apply.

I just bought the ingredients for a fruit wheat brew. Would a strawberry rhubarb wheat work?

I'd stick with the more earthy or spicy hops: EKG, Fuggles, Hallertauer, Liberty, etc. Stay away from citrus hops. Shoot for 10-12 IBU, anything more and you'll overwhelm the fruit.

Yeast, a neutral or a wheat.

in terms of rhubarb pie, the filling is mostly sugar, you don't need a lot of rhubarb. Do you have nutritional details on rhubarb so you can estimate the amount of fermentables that it will contribute.

i will read the write up and look up the sugar in rhubarb i heard it's alot stronger then the strawberries so i think i will do 4lb to 2 lb

how much sugar would ferment if you put chopped fruit into the secondary and witch would bring out more fruit flavor 5 min boil or secondary ferment

i read the write up on rhubarb and i'm wondering how the flavor changes if your remove the acid from the rhubarb juice

i will definitely look into freezing the rhubarb and pressing it i assume i can get some rhubarb from the farmers market this weekend

here is the info i found on rhubarb only 1 g of sugar per 85g mostly water
so that's about 3 oz

not sure what it would be if i froze it and removed the acid i assume the sugar would stay in the water part

Rhubarb is 95% water and contains a fair source of potassium, contributes minor amounts of vitamins, and is low in sodium. Rhubarb's crisp sour stalks are rich in vitamin C, dietary fiber and calcium, although the calcium is combined with oxalic acid and so is not easily absorbed by the body. Rhubarb is somewhat acidic (pH 3.1-3.2) but in most recipes this is normally offset by sugar. One cup diced Rhubarb contains about 26 calories. 17 18 19

Table 9.6: Rhubarb Nutritional Information
Rhubarb Nutritional Information

Calories 20
Calories from fat 0

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 4 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 1 g