killer tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I thought i would give back to the site and all you folks that have helped me out the past 1/2 year. heres something I discovered early on...

Use the rubber bulb of a turkey baster AS A PUMP to pump sanitizer through the racking tubes and plastic hoses. first pull the baster apart,then submerge the bulb in your sanitizing bucket, then submerge the end of the cane or tubing, connect the two together with your one hand making a decent seal and squeeze the bulb with the other, forcing sanitizing solution through the tube. I do this a bunch of times to be absolutely sure I really clean all my tubing and racking canes.

Almost everyone has got a baster for taking grav samples. Anyone else do this? I dont know what the hell I would do with out this little maneuver!

+1 again on the autosiphon. Even with the siphoning convenience aside, I think it's worth the price just for the ease of sanitizing.

However, a turkey baster is a GREAT tool if you ever get a stuck sparge. hold up the outlet tube of your MLT, fill both the baster and tube with water, stick the baster into the tube, open the valve, and squeeze to force water back through the braid/manifold. The one time I got a stuck sparge, it stuck once, I did this, it stuck again 10 minutes later, I did it again, and then it went all the way through both batch sparges without sticking again.

Back