Is my yeast any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kulprit

Reaction score
Ok so total newb here. About to do the first batch today.

Went down to my basement and got the extract kits. Like a dummy I had no idea the yeast needed to be refrigerated - doh. Honestly I never really thought about it and it was never indicated on the larger packaging - just the little vial and the smack pack.

Anyways it's been in my basement for probably about a month. No sun light- but the temperature has probably been between 60-65f.

Is it worth even trying to make these batches?

I had planned to make a starter last night for both batches - unfortuntely my new puppy decided he needed an emergency trip to the vet last night so I wasn't able to do that. I just broke the smack pack now (8am) and we hope to start brewing at 10am.

What do you suggest?

FYI - there is no local store in my area - I have searched and searched.
FYI2- both extract kits were purchased from AHBS

If you need to brew then go for it.
If not spend the time and make a starter and see what happens then brew.

It depends if you want to risk wasting time and money.

If you don't mind the risk or need/want to brew then go for it.

Good luck.

Unfortunately due to the holidays we are only able to do it today - otherwise it will be another week or two.

So what if I just go ahead and brew - pitch the yeast directly. If no activity then would i be able to just order new yeast and pitch it into the wort or will it be too late and be un-usable.

I dont really mind risking the money - it's mostly the time and disappointment :)

Great!

It's so frustrating that something so stupid and easy to avoid might ruin our first batch before we even start - lol. Meager beginnings for sure.

At least we can do it and see what this is all about.

Kulprit said:
Great!

It's so frustrating that something so stupid and easy to avoid might ruin our first batch before we even start - lol. Meager beginnings for sure.

At least we can do it and see what this is all about.

Good luck!

So we went ahead and did the brews yesterday. There was 3 of us and we had a great time.

First brew started at 11am and first beer popped shortly after.

We had a great time and everything went smoothly. Now it's just a matter of waiting to see if the yeast actually takes and starts to do it's magic.

About 24 hours later it looks like we have some activity in the Fat Tire - which was the smack pack.

No just keep waiting on the other one.

Be nice extra xmas gift if they both take off!

I find if you directly pitch a vial it usually takes a good 48 hours or more to get going. I am very surprised the unsmacked smack pack is already going. Those things don't have many cells in there pre-smacking.

But, odds are you'll be fine. If there is one thing I have learned about beer making is that it usually make it self if you get out of the way. :)

Yeah the second one is going this morning. And it's got a bigger head to it then the one that started first. I will actually have to check it out before I leave for the in-laws to make sure it wont over-flow the 6gal BB.

I was suprised as well - I told myself I would wait until Wed and if no activity by then, then I would order new yeast So to see it active already is pretty cool.

JimC said:
I find if you directly pitch a vial it usually takes a good 48 hours or more to get going. I am very surprised the unsmacked smack pack is already going. Those things don't have many cells in there pre-smacking.

They have just as many cells prior to pre-smack as they do post-smack. It's just yeast nutrient that is energizing the cells. There's no reproduction or growth going on.

PseudoChef said:
They have just as many cells prior to pre-smack as they do post-smack. It's just yeast nutrient that is energizing the cells. There's no reproduction or growth going on.

I did smack the pack - probably 10-11 hours prior to pitching for what it's worth.

Kulprit said:
I did smack the pack - probably 10-11 hours prior to pitching for what it's worth.

Ok...my reply was to someone who said that smacking made the yeast cell count increase...it doesn 't. It's just to ensure healthy, live yeast and make them ready for the vigorous fermentation to come.

Back