Cloudy, jelly-like sediment forming on bottom of carboy - is this yeast or mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtogio

Reaction score
Hey all!

I was wondering if someone out there could possibly help me out. I made a batch of rosehip wine a while back, and a few weeks ago I racked it off to separate the wine from the lees. For full disclosure, I also made up the difference in the second carboy with a sugar water solution.

I looked into the carboy today and noticed that a cloudy, almost jelly-like sediment is forming at the bottom. I think it MIGHT be dead yeast, but it's not settling out flat like yeast usually does.

Does anyone know what this is? Is it just yeast settling or is this a serious problem?

Thanks in advance!

Well without a Pic it is pure speculation but I wouldn't think it would be mold as it is on the bottom of your carboy. Generally Mold will only grow where it has exposure to air. That said id be willing to bet it is just yeast and lees settling out. But if you post a pic im sure someone more experienced than I would be more easily able to help steer you in the right direction.

Back