Do you give it a swirl??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTXBrauer

Reaction score
I am guilty of this. Even today, I gave my fermenter a gentle swirl, which in my own mind I believe stirs up yeast activity. Of course trying to avoid the introduction of O2 in the process.

Do any of you attempt to initiate yeast activity by putting some motion on your fermentation vessel?

I do. But I don't do it because I'm trying to get the yeast to be active - I do it because I like to get the trub off the sides, and yeast floaties or whatever, to drop to the bottom. I like to do that before I move the carboy when I cold crash or before transferring to a keg, because it has time to settle in the bottom.

There's no chance of oxygenation when you do this, since it's all CO2 in the carboy, plus it causes outgassing anyway.

Depends on the attenuation of the yeast. Sometimes you need to kick the yeast backup to fully finish.

I recently did it with the Ringwood yeast I used in a graff I made.

Swirl?

Heck, I pinch off the blow-off tube and shake it like it owes me money.

I've had attenuation problems with my big batches in the past.
Not sure if this helps, but it surely doesn't hurt.

I don't always practice this method, and do it early on during the fermentation period. (2-3 days)

It usually stimulates a little activity from my experience and fortunately has not had any adverse affect on the end product that I can tell.

Swirl?

Heck, I pinch off the blow-off tube and shake it like it owes me money.

I've had attenuation problems with my big batches in the past.
Not sure if this helps, but it surely doesn't hurt.

Best thing for attenuation is to pitch enough healthy yeast with enough O2.

I am amazed to see how much folklore still pervades the amateur brewing community. As long as it is performed under sanitary conditions, rousing the yeast isn't going to hurt the beer. Anyone who has visited a traditional British brewery has seen the shower head looking device that British brewers use to rouse and aerate yeast. This device literally sprays fermenting wort.

One can see this device in action at the Timothy Taylor Brewery at time 1:07 in the video linked below:

http://timothytaylor.co.uk/img/video/Timothy Taylor - Fermentation Section.webm

Black Sheep uses the same device:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KJmLNj14C_w#t=20

All of the Peter Austin/Alan Pugsley designed and built breweries aerate the Ringwood yeast on the second day of fermentation.

I am amazed to see how much folklore still pervades the amateur brewing community. As long as it is performed under sanitary conditions, rousing the yeast isn't going to hurt the beer. Anyone who has visited a traditional British brewery has seen the shower head looking device that British brewers use to rouse and aerate yeast. This device literally sprays fermenting wort.

One can see this device in action at the Timothy Taylor Brewery at time 1:07 in the video linked below:

http://timothytaylor.co.uk/img/video/Timothy Taylor - Fermentation Section.webm

Black Sheep uses the same device:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KJmLNj14C_w#t=20

All of the Peter Austin/Alan Pugsley designed and built breweries aerate the Ringwood yeast on the second day of fermentation.

Well sir, I am offended, my panties are in a bunch and have gone into no mans land. I will mail them to you. JK LOL Was I suppose to be offended because I swirl or not? Because I don't. My yeast seem to do a good job, I use big starters and prime with pure O2. So there, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Nothing wrong with rousing, it's done on a daily basis in wine making. All the studies I have read indicate that fermentation is more effective in a system that keeps the yeast in suspension...that's why we use stir plates for starters.

The yeast that are buried in the yeast cake are not very productive...it's all about surface area and keeping the yeast surrounded with food.

Anyone who has visited a traditional British brewery has seen the shower head looking device that British brewers use to rouse and aerate yeast. This device literally sprays fermenting wort

I've never been, but I seem it on an episode of beer hunter.

My name is jake, and im a rouser. To yeast and my GF.

Well sir, I am offended, my panties are in a bunch and have gone into no mans land. I will mail them to you. JK LOL Was I suppose to be offended because I swirl or not? Because I don't. My yeast seem to do a good job, I use big starters and prime with pure O2. So there, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Are you trolling?

Back