Well I dumped my first batch of beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mb2658

Reaction score
So a friend asked me to brew some beer for his Superbowl party about a month or so ago. I gladly obliged as my keg of Kingbrian's Caramel Amber ale went over very well last year. I have been working on perfecting my pale ale recipe and have been getting great results consistently so I brewed up a batch and kegged it a few days ago so that it would be ready for the game. I made the mistake of dry hopping in primary with leaf hops. I ended up plugging the dip tube in my corny keg. I fought with that for a while and ended up clearing it out and poured a sample glass to check my work. The beer turned out great so I turned my attention back to the English IPA that I am brewing today. I went back out to the garage to add in a hop addition when I heard what sounded like dripping water. I opened the door to my beer fridge and saw a disturbing sight. The picnic tap had been pressed against the side of the keg when I closed the door and proceeded to dispense the entire keg into the fridge. I caught it before the keg completely floated but the batch is gone. So the lawn got a good taste of the beer. Oh well, live and learn.

image-3972253758.jpg

I had a loose clamp on an output tube in my keezer. I was pouring beer for a party and didn't notice until one of my alltime favorite beers tapped up dry after only pouring about 5 or 6 beers. I opened the lid on the keezer and all my kegs were floating an a layer of my favorite beer. No one cared because the other kegs were still AOK, but it was my favorite beer. I use a siphon to get one single glass out of the keezer. It tasted like the cleanser I'd been using to keep the inside of my keezer clean. I drank it anyway, I'll probably go blind from that incident one day, but at least I salvaged one glass of my favorite beers. *tear*

Fortunately I had half a keg of dry English stout and half a keg of dry cider that I took to the party. The dry stout went over very well.

MoPhunk said:
Saturday I watched my buddy slip and dump the entire batch he jus brewed.

Ouch! In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to the Free the Hops Foundation.

Luckily, we decided to brew a ten gallon batch. Both my kegs are currently full so I just gave him my batch.

Gave him your batch... a true friend I guess. I would have said: "man... that sucks buddy, you can drink for free at my house anytime." But a free batch??!! That may be a breach of brew-tiquette.

I've done the same thing; I think every brewer that kegs has it happen at least once. I accidentally closed my keezer lid on a picnic tap, the next day I found the keezer filled with about 4" of Apfelwine. A month's work completely down the drain (literally, unfortunately.) Now I double check, sometimes triple check - after I close the lid.

overflow said:
I've done the same thing; I think every brewer that kegs has it happen at least once. I accidentally closed my keezer lid on a picnic tap, the next day I found the keezer filled with about 4" of Apfelwine. A month's work completely down the drain (literally, unfortunately.) Now I double check, sometimes triple check - after I close the lid.

Yeah. I have learned my lesson. It only takes once. I'll be far more diligent in the future.

It might not be that funny but i just laughed my ass off (out loud)

RipUSMC said:
Gave him your batch... a true friend I guess. I would have said: "man... that sucks buddy, you can drink for free at my house anytime." But a free batch??!! That may be a breach of brew-tiquette.

We buy all of our supplies in bulk and I was using washed yeast so I had no new money Invested. Plus I went on a bottle buying binge this winter and have a big stock of non homebrew beer.

Back