big party in 2 days, CO2 leak, major help neede

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockey27925

Reaction score
Have a hand me down system, with all new parts except the faucet. Upgraded to a new shank and a new coupler this year. Last year everything worked great, this year, not so well. Went thru 2 bottles of co2 already and its been 4 days. Tried the bubbles test to see where it was coming from, and got nothing. Even got a new keg. I even used keg lube on all washer and gaskets. One thing i did try was to open the air tank all the way and leave the valve closed to see if i would lose air and i did, could that mean my regulator **** the bed? I bought it a year ago. please help, 60 person partyy in 2 days

I feel your pain. It seems like you have narrowed it down to the regulator. I would isolate the tank and the regulator as close as possible and perform a static pressure test and see if your losing gas. For what's its worth I've taken to adding pipe tape to all my threads.

ive tried mr.bubbles almost everywhere and cant seem to figure out wehre this leak is coming from. How often to regulators go bad being about a year old?

Are you sure you have a plastic gasket installed between the tank and the regulator connection? They are easy to loose. I've been there before. :cross:

Remove the regulator/tank from the system, pressurize and turn off the tank. Let it sit. If you lose pressure it has to be the regulator or the connection to the tank. Tighten everyhing up, replace the washer to the tank, and do the test again. If it still depressurizes, get a new regulator. If it doesn't, you might have had a leak between the regulator and your CO2 line. Reattach the CO2 line, tighten everything up and repressurize. Hopefully you're good to go.

I feel your pain. I have a big party in 2 weeks. I can't think of anything worse than losing your CO2 pressure with 30+ beer drinkers standing arond. I have a backup regulator and an extra 5lb canister just in case. I even had my main tank refilled before it needed it just in case.

Remove the regulator/tank from the system, pressurize and turn off the tank. Let it sit. If you lose pressure it has to be the regulator or the connection to the tank. Tighten everyhing up, replace the washer to the tank, and do the test again. If it still depressurizes, get a new regulator. If it doesn't, you might have had a leak between the regulator and your CO2 line. Reattach the CO2 line, tighten everything up and repressurize. Hopefully you're good to go.

I feel your pain. I have a big party in 2 weeks. I can't think of anything worse than losing your CO2 pressure with 30+ beer drinkers standing arond. I have a backup regulator and an extra 5lb canister just in case. I even had my main tank refilled before it needed to be done just in case.

This is why I have 3 regulators, 2 Tanks (#20 and #5) and duplicates of most of the fittings

all of which are very helpful tactics and i appreciate all your help, i think it was just a combination of loosening the tank all the way and not realizing that when you put the tank in the fridge, the pressure drops to about 500 on the gauge and didnt know that was ok. More check tomorrow with all the people there, had some trouble tonight holding 5psi for a perfect pour, so cranked it up to 8-9psi to see if it holds overnight. I know standard is 10-12 for miller light, but 5 comes out so smooth its perfect.

Latest posts

Back