Dry hoping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No real special trick.

Pick your poison.. Pick a hop you like and that will work really well with your recipe.

Add it after fermentation is complete. If you do it before, you'll end up fermenting off the aroma that you are putting in there when you dry hop. Use whole cone or pellets, whichever you can get ahold of. Whole cone will soak up a bit of your beer, so there will be a slightly loss in volume. Also, if you are kegging, you can put it in your keg and serve from the keg to keep that dry hop in there and have it throughout the keg.

Grab an ounce or two for a 5 gallon batch and have at it.

No trick. Just add hops to the fermented beer. Some people think putting them in a hop bag makes transfers less challenging, but many just toss them in.

A good dry hop rate for an IPA is about 3oz per 5 gallons. A typical schedule would be to ferment 2-3 weeks and then dry hop for a week before packaging.

No trick, just put hops in your beer.

I like to put the hops in mesh bags (it's easier to take them out) and then add them to the primary or secondary fermenter for 7-10 days. On my current beer, I'm going to try dry hoping directly in the keg.

Back