Anything else I would need for water filtration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepolmot

Reaction score
So I just moved to a new place and the tap water here is a little to chemically. Is there anything I would need for a good filtration system besides this housing and these filters

You would need the appropriate fittings to install an RV garden hose and preferably a shutoff valve. That way you can hook it up to your spigot and have clean water available on demand.

Good point, I probably should talk about how I plan to set it up. What I'd be doing using is attaching an outdoor spigot via some vinyl tubing and a garden hose attachment going into the filter, and have the output going through another vinyl tube into the kettle. I'd disassemble and store dry after each use.

Morebeer has a similar setup with all the fittings needed for around $40. I'd post a link, but I'm on my phone right now. I have one, and it definitely helps get the chlorine/chemical taste out of my water.

I suggest you skip the simple carbon filter and step right up to a reverse osmosis system. It's really nice to have the capability of starting from effectively zero and building from there (which in my brewery has involved only calcium sulfate, calcium chloride, and an occasional spot of phosphoric acid from StarSan).

This depends on your particular water profile and how much you'd like to pursue paler and more delicate styles like Boh Pils and Hefeweizen.

Yea it was basically that morebeer kit that I was trying to recreate. Going to HD and buying what I posted saves $10 and gets you a replacement filter. 944Play, do you have a link to an RO system that you use?

zepolmot said:
So I just moved to a new place and the tap water here is a little to chemically. Is there anything I would need for a good filtration system besides this housing and these filters

I got those parts that you linked to and they seem to be just fine. I looked at the RO system but didn't want to put out that type of money just yet and my city water is pretty good by itself. I read somewhere on here that people have issues using a regular garden hose because it leads to off flavors so I got the white rv hose instead.

triangulum33 said:
944: how often do you have to change filters? What do they cost?

They're good for a couple thousand gallons, which will take me several years. The membrane is supposed to last even longer. New filters are $21, a new membrane is $40.

An activated carbon filter will be a welcome addition for removing taste and odor components from tap water. That includes chlorine and chloramine. The secret to using a filter this small (I deal with carbon units containing thousands of pounds of activated carbon) is to restrict the flow rate down to about 1 gal/min. Use a 1/2" end cap for copper piping with a 1/16" hole and stuff that inside the supply hose to the filter. That will restrict the flow rate to an appropriate rate so that the carbon can actually strip out the chlorine and chloramine. It will also make your filter last a very long time.

A RO filter could be a nice addition to a brewer, but it really depends on the quality of the tap water. If the water already has relatively low ionic content, it may not be needed and could be a real waste of money. Figure out what you've got before making that sort of investment.

The carbon filter will be a wise investment.

Just make sure you pick up the best carbon filters they have. I know when I was at lowes or homedepot last looking for a new filter they had a few to choose from.

Latest posts

Back