minor blowoff??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c.n.budz

Reaction score
So, I started my first batch last night and it's fermenting nicely, lots of activity in the primary. When I got home tonight there was wort in the airlock and a little, maybe a tablespoon, of the foam(krausen?) from the top of the wort coming out of the top of the airlock. Is this normal and do I need a blowoff tube?

cnbudz said:
So, I started my first batch last night and it's fermenting nicely, lots of activity in the primary. When I got home tonight there was wort in the airlock and a little, maybe a tablespoon, of the foam(krausen?) from the top of the wort coming out of the top of the airlock. Is this normal and do I need a blowoff tube?

That's nothing. Don't worry about it. Check it tomorrow. If your carboy looks like someone just took a big foamy **** all over it, then you need a blow tube.

Okay, the foamy **** just happened. I put the hard plastic tube from my racking cane into my spare carboy stopper then the hose from the racking cane into a 1gal bucket of water w/ a little sanitizer in it. I switched the airlock and the blow off tube as quickly as I could, and got a faceful of my brew for the trouble.... Does this sound like a decent setup for a blow off tube?

Oh man, this brings back memories of mopping my ceiling after a kick arsh brew... I have learned from experience that a blow off tube is an evil that is needed or at least a good saftey device... If your getting Krausen that close to the top, you might want to start considering using a blow off tube for your brews... It's not a bad thing at all, it means you have happy hungry yeast that are beating possible contamination to the sugars...

On a side note, the best beer I ever brewed spackled the ceiling in my kitchen... I have herd this from alot of people...

Enjoy

Back