Anyone in okinawa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

licenseless

Reaction score
i know there are a couple of you on here...

if so post up and i will see if we can have an exchange day... maybe have a few beers and swap tips

Nice...I'm not in Okinawa, but I remember Camp Schwab and the NTA very well. I'm sure it's challenging to get supplies over there, eh?

extremely challenging....

Williams brewery wants to charge 30 bucks a kit to ship...

however, rebel brewery and more beer dont charge to much...

and i got friend back state side that helps out

I have also used MDHB and The Home Brewery out here. MDHB has great customer service, but there shipments normally take longer to get here. Where are you? I'm on Foster.

i live off base...

near Courtney

and what do you mean by "The Home Brewery out here"... is there a home brew store here hahahahaha **** if so.. im down with checking it out

also... you been working on any beers lately... i got a decent robust porter... and (for some reason) an oddly tasting oatmeal stout...

I'll be there in Sept. Will be working on Courtney (III MEF) but have no idea where we will be living. I am making a shopping list of ingredients to bring with me now :D.

I meant thehomebrewery.com. Sorry about that. Right now I have an Irish Red Ale in the keg I'm getting ready to brew an IPA.

if your going to be at courtney and you have family ... courtney has a pretty big housing section... so you will probably be there... if not there ... then mc t.

if you have never been here before chap... give me a heads up when you get here... and i can show you the ropes... im a civilian so i get to get out a lot more than most

mwalusz... your kegging too? ... good **** **** bottles... did you have to buy all of your keggins supplies from online... i bought all of mine threw rebel brewery... they hooked me up on the shipping because it was an apo adress... so it was pretty good but Tom (the guy who works there) said it was a one time thing... so i am trying to find some place here that has corny kegs...

i got a buddy who helps the owner of obligatos as a business consultant... and when he gets back from vacation... he said he would look for some more corny kegs for me... or find some store here for stuff like that... if he finds something out i will give you a heads up.

I bought the majority online, but had to get the co2 adapter and tank here since icould not find a place tofill an American tank. I went through more beer for the equipment.

did you get the adapter over at co2 place between gate 4 and gate 3 of kadena... near that dragon statue

right on...

well im wanting to do a beer meet and greet... but its just us two right now...

so if you want we could meet up... but if we could find out when the rest of the people are back in town... maybe do it then... get to gether at my place or some one elses... and have some beer and throw something on the grill...

familys welcome... since my wife and kid will be here already... hahaahahah

well let me know what you think... maybe we can all brew some beer that day too or something

Damn, I think I got counted as a half LOL I'm cool with that, can't wait to get settled in and meet you guys.

Damn, I think I got counted as a half LOL I'm cool with that, can't wait to get settled in and meet you guys.

yeah... your just a halfy... hahahahahahahaha

bring your ass over here and drink some beer... for reals hahahahah

I'm heading over to Oki in April. I'll be stationed at Hanson and we are tring to live out in town. Based on the previous posts, it doesn't sound like will be able to fill my CO2 tanks over there. mwalusz mentioned something about an adapter. Can I use what I have or should I leave them in the States?

I'm heading over to Oki in April. I'll be stationed at Hanson and we are tring to live out in town. Based on the previous posts, it doesn't sound like will be able to fill my CO2 tanks over there. mwalusz mentioned something about an adapter. Can I use what I have or should I leave them in the States?

you can use your own co2 tanks... but it costs extra money to get the tanks tested... and then put an adapter on them...

the easiest way to do it is just put a 100 dollar deposit down on a tank here and buy a 15 dollar adapter... so that you can use all of your equipment...

its only about 18 bucks or so to fill up a huge ass rental tank.... the tank i rent is still on its first fill

you can use your own co2 tanks... but it costs extra money to get the tanks tested... and then put an adapter on them...

the easiest way to do it is just put a 100 dollar deposit down on a tank here and buy a 15 dollar adapter... so that you can use all of your equipment...

its only about 18 bucks or so to fill up a huge ass rental tank.... the tank i rent is still on its first fill

Licenless,
Glad you replied. I have been trying to reply to your PM but your inbox is full. I finally made it to Oki and we are staying at the Westpac Lodge. Hopefully will be in housing at Foster or Kadena very soon.

Sorry man I forget to check that thing

Uh ... I will clear out my in box tonight and let me know what u are doing this Saturday cause I got a huge cuttlefish to cook

Just getting started going to make a trip to mak-man today to see what they have instead of buying a kit and paying the shipping. Is there anywhere on the island that sells supplies for home brewing?

Just getting started going to make a trip to mak-man today to see what they have instead of buying a kit and paying the shipping. Is there anywhere on the island that sells supplies for home brewing?

nope ... but what do you need... i might have some stuff for ya...

i got some extra things

Im here in Okinawa and am in the same boat as Keith I think I have a hook up for getting a kit shipped at a good price from the states, just wondering if anyone know if they ship corny kegs to APO. Also a good place to get a 5 gallon stainless pot, I guess I could check the BX... Thanks for any help.

I ordered a Pale Ale kit (extract) from Morebeer on the 23rd and received it on the 30th. $51 total for the kit and shipping, a little expensive but not too bad IMO. I talked to More before leaving San Diego and they said they had no problem shipping to an FPO AP. I now have 2 Pale Ale's, an IPA, a Stout and a Common Brown waiting to be brewed (extract and all grain).

Let memknow if u want a hand on brew day man... I'm off every thursday friday and Saturday ... Depending on my side gig doing video and photography

Let memknow if u want a hand on brew day man... I'm off every thursday friday and Saturday ... Depending on my side gig doing video and photography

I think I am going to brew up a couple extract kits to get my pipeline going again (PX beer selection sucks) and then I have to put together my all grain equipment (keggles need to be drilled for valves, sight glasses, false bottom etc). We ended up in housing on Kadena, do you have base access?

I think I am going to brew up a couple extract kits to get my pipeline going again (PX beer selection sucks) and then I have to put together my all grain equipment (keggles need to be drilled for valves, sight glasses, false bottom etc). We ended up in housing on Kadena, do you have base access?

yeah man i got base access... let me know when you are brewing... i am free on thursdays fridays and saturdays...

so just shoot me a heads up... i'll show up... i love brewing hahahaha

I just registered with homebrewtalk, but have used a lot of the advice/recipes on the forum here. I live in Okinawa and have a couple of extract kits that I plan on getting started now that the weather is a little cooler. I would like to eventually move to partial-mash or full mash if I can find ingredients here on the island. Maybe eventually I'll move to forced carbonation...

I have gone to makeman's at American village, but didn't find anything specific to homebrewing (like yeast, extracts, bottles, carboys, etc.). Anyone else on the island find a place to buy equipment/ingredients?

Not too new to Island, but fairly new to brewing. I'm planning a Keezer build next month, OYS chest freezer pendng. I get my supplies from Midwestsupplies.com, and shipping isn't too expensive, and doesn't take long. My only issue with the Keezer, is the CO2 tanks. You guys said earlier that its pretty easy to rent tanks vs. getting American tanks filled? would they have 5# tanks or a similar volume? And has anyone checked Typhoon motors or equivelant welding shops for fills? Sorry for the long response :D

Not too new to Island, but fairly new to brewing. I'm planning a Keezer build next month, OYS chest freezer pendng. I get my supplies from Midwestsupplies.com, and shipping isn't too expensive, and doesn't take long. My only issue with the Keezer, is the CO2 tanks. You guys said earlier that its pretty easy to rent tanks vs. getting American tanks filled? would they have 5# tanks or a similar volume? And has anyone checked Typhoon motors or equivelant welding shops for fills? Sorry for the long response :D

First off the cheapest place to fill tanks is off base... On base doesn't do it that I know of... And I know most the guys at any of the auto hobby shops... And most don't even weld Hahhahahaa

The off base places have smaller tanks but it is rare they have them in... So more than likely u will have to do a main line in to the side of the keg fridge... Then put a line devider on the inside and send those to your kegs ... Or spend the money to have a 5 gallon tank leak tested and adapted to work with off base systems... Which can get pricey considering a 25 dollar adapter will allow the offbase tanks to work with American Gage systems

I have had the same co2 tank for the last 8 months on about 8 or so doddery batches and I can probably keep using for a few more befor I have to spend 20 bucks to get it refilled

Let me know when u guys brew next... I should have a brew going in the next few weeks

First off the cheapest place to fill tanks is off base... On base doesn't do it that I know of... And I know most the guys at any of the auto hobby shops... And most don't even weld Hahhahahaa

The off base places have smaller tanks but it is rare they have them in... So more than likely u will have to do a main line in to the side of the keg fridge... Then put a line devider on the inside and send those to your kegs ... Or spend the money to have a 5 gallon tank leak tested and adapted to work with off base systems... Which can get pricey considering a 25 dollar adapter will allow the offbase tanks to work with American Gage systems

I have had the same co2 tank for the last 8 months on about 8 or so doddery batches and I can probably keep using for a few more befor I have to spend 20 bucks to get it refilled

Let me know when u guys brew next... I should have a brew going in the next few weeks

Yeah, I actually have a motorcycle shop down the street from my house, and I asked them about getting tanks filled, they said my best bet was Okano Gas Co. Which, from further research in this forum, is where I would get the adapter. I have a 5# tank, and it fits in my Keezer to be with 2 corneys, but I may just have to do what you are saying :( Oh well, still better than anything at the class 6. Thanks for the advise!

I'm in the same boat as you loadtoad00, have my keezer here with me but my 5# bottle will be empty very soon, gotta find an adapter and bottle. I have an Amber Ale, Pale Ale and 2 Apfelwein's fermenting right now.

If you need any help with the keezer or want to check one out (maybe not the best example but it works) I live on Kadena and am home most evenings.

i have a friend searching the island tomorrow for a place that fills american tanks.......there has to be a place to do it....it really should only take a hp adapter....btw, i just live out gate one, perhaps one of these days we can get together and brew :D

i have a friend searching the island tomorrow for a place that fills american tanks.......there has to be a place to do it....it really should only take a hp adapter....btw, i just live out gate one, perhaps one of these days we can get together and brew :D

any place that does co2 will fill your tank

BUT

your tank has to go threw a japanese inspection first

you cant just take any tank up there ... it has to full fill the japanese inspection test...

i was told it costs up to 400 bucks... but i havent done it yet ... because i had an adapter for a japanese tank to work with my double gauge system and i had a friend that wanted to use the tank for a high powered potato gun hahahahahahahahah

so he gave me money to cover the cost of the rented tank hahahahah

but seriously just take your tank up to the place between gate 3 and the closed gate of kadena and they will give you a price to have your tank tested... if your tank fails the test you cant use it... if it works then they will fill it for you and sell you an adapter for your tank to be filled at there shop...

again its just pricey from what i hear... but for all i know its only 400 yen... i had some one translating for me who isnt that good at translating... hahahahaha

but once you have an apporved tank... you can take it to pet box and they can refill it for you... you cant take it basically anywere that deals with fish or welding and have it filled...

CHAP... what gives... you didnt give me a heads up on the date you brewed... i would have loved to come by and helped... i love brewing hahahah

like i said earlier ... i will be brewing with in the next few weeks...

i am doing a crappy extract kit and i am doing an all grain imperial stout... which i am really nervous about doing... since i am just a novice (at best) and high alcohol beers are the easiest to fail hahahaha... worse comes to worse... i will just repitch it with bread yeast and let it age for a year ore three hahahahahaah

CHAP... what gives... you didnt give me a heads up on the date you brewed... i would have loved to come by and helped... i love brewing hahahah

like i said earlier ... i will be brewing with in the next few weeks...

i am doing a crappy extract kit and i am doing an all grain imperial stout... which i am really nervous about doing... since i am just a novice (at best) and high alcohol beers are the easiest to fail hahahaha... worse comes to worse... i will just repitch it with bread yeast and let it age for a year ore three hahahahahaah

Man, I know, it was kind of spur of the moment. We were supposed to go snorkeling and that fell through so I grabbed my son and we knocked out 2 extract kits. I have an all-grain Stout kit and California Common plus an extract IPA that still need to be brewed. I just got some light malt in to make a starter and may be brewing this weekend... maybe.

well as soon as the two kits that are in the mail get here... should be around wednesday...

i am going to brew those... probably next saturday ... unless the weather is really good then i am going paintballing with some friends

Hey guys! just found this thread.

I will say I am not stationed in Okinawa, but know how it is overseas.

I have recently come back stateside from England.

Just a suggestion, maybe you guys should start a Homebrew Club there!

I just bottled my Honey Brown Ale. That will be my 3rd batch I've ever done and it came out as 7.1% ABV. I am not into the forced carbonation yet, so I have to wait a few more weeks for the carbonation to occur. I am going to try a Blackstrap Molasses Root Beer (Non-alcoholic) next to see how that works.

I just bottled my Honey Brown Ale. That will be my 3rd batch I've ever done and it came out as 7.1% ABV. I am not into the forced carbonation yet, so I have to wait a few more weeks for the carbonation to occur. I am going to try a Blackstrap Molasses Root Beer (Non-alcoholic) next to see how that works.

i have thought about making some sodas... like make my own... but i am not too sure how well that will go...

i thought about just making a sweet flavored drink and then carbonating it... and just keeping doing that until i find a drink flavor i like...

anyone got ideas on this hahahah

Back