How do you manage multiple fermentations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMIGS714

Reaction score
I was wondering how most of you handle fermenting/conditioning multiple batches? such as if you have a kegerator do you change the temp. of the beer your serving to lagering temps or do you just lager the beer longer???:confused:

I have a dedicated freezer temp controlled for lagering (which i usually do 2 at a time brewed back to back and do my primary rack to secondary in cornies and than drop the temp for how ever long needed diaceytl rest at the end. I dont do to many lagers usually every 8 batches or so.

All about the brew calendar and timing. I have a lagerator, and do ales in a water bath in the closet. I try to do a bunch of lagers within a few days of each other.

I keep my kegerator at 38. I have a fridge dedicated to lagering that can handle a couple cornies at a time and a fermentation chamber that can handle two carboys at a time. I don't like playing with my kegerator temp as it messes with carbonation too much. But, a kegerator will lager your beer just fine. BTW, aren't fermented beverages illegal in Afghanistan?

BTW, aren't fermented beverages illegal in Afghanistan?

yes they are, but im not brewing here. just planning out my return to civilization. IMHO Afghan needs a brewpub, the us could repay most of its debt with what soldiers and civilians would pay... id pay $7 a pint

I was wondering how most of you handle fermenting/conditioning multiple batches? such as if you have a kegerator do you change the temp. of the beer your serving to lagering temps or do you just lager the beer longer???:confused:

I keep my kegerator at ~46F, so I turn it up to 48F when brewing a lager in there during warmer weather. In the winter, my basement is generally the right temp for lagers, so I brew more lagers then. I have an old fridge I keep at 32F for lagering.
I brew ales using 2 Igloo cube coolers and 1 larger cooler that can hold 2 fermenters. I control the temperature using aquarium heaters and the water also acts as a thermal mass to help moderate swings. Sometimes in the summer I need to add ice to cool the fermentation, so I keep a few 1L bottles with ice in a freezer.

I have a dedicated freezer temp controlled for lagering (which i usually do 2 at a time brewed back to back and do my primary rack to secondary in cornies and than drop the temp for how ever long needed diaceytl rest at the end. I dont do to many lagers usually every 8 batches or so.

I have a freezer that I use for lagers. I also brew lagers back-to-back since I don't want to be stuck with one in cold fermentation at 50F and the other needing to lager at 32F. But I also don't brew too many lagers. Mostly just prior to the summer months.

Check out my lager fridge. I don't care for nascar, but this takes a carboy perfectly with an upside down small garbage can as a lid. Plugged into a johnson controller keeps my lager fermentation wherever i want it. I turn it off for the D-rest, and then set it full bore for a month of lagering in secondary at 32 degrees. Lagers come out clean and crisp.I found it on craigs list came from a gas station $40.
lagerfridgesmall.jpg

Check out my lager fridge. I don't care for nascar, but this takes a carboy perfectly with an upside down small garbage can as a lid. Plugged into a johnson controller keeps my lager fermentation wherever i want it. I turn it off for the D-rest, and then set it full bore for a month of lagering in secondary at 32 degrees. Lagers come out clean and crisp.I found it on craigs list came from a gas station $40.
lagerfridgesmall.jpg

That is simply awesome

yes they are, but im not brewing here. just planning out my return to civilization. IMHO Afghan needs a brewpub, the us could repay most of its debt with what soldiers and civilians would pay... id pay $7 a pint

Ha, I'm out here with you...I totally understand "planning the return" :) We joke that we should open a strip club....hell, if they can have a TGI Friday's, why not a nudie bar? :D FWIW, I'd pay significantly more than $7 for a beer at this point :)

Back