Flying with beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carryon all the way. I have gone to napa plenty and carried on a case of wine there. Was a few years back, but I have also checked a $400 bottle of wine and later wrung it out of my clothes, weeping.

Unless it's a minibottle, you wouldn't get past the 3oz liquid limit. That is unless you can convince them it's medication or baby formula.

--Bringing this one back--
Im about to make a trip to portland, or and am thinking a pelican case might be the way to go for bringing some bottles back home. Any thoughts? or reccomendations of what i should pick up out there?

I just flew from Chicago to Seattle on Southwest last week. Came back with 10-15 beers split between two checked bags. No problems. This time I didn't even get the lovely note from security that they search our bags! I always wrap the bottles tightly in clothes and make sure the bag is full so nothing shift around. Southwest is great since you don't have to pay to check a bag and there is a 50lb weight limit. That equals to 6-8 22oz bottles and a weeks worth of clothes. I do this all the time for business travel and have yet to loose a bottle. Knock on wood.

On the way back from my first trip to Belgium, I loaded an entire duffel bag full of beer and carried it onto the plane. This was, of course, before the latest liquid restrictions.

The last few trips I've been a little more selective in what I bring back, and have always been able to get some bottles in a checked bag through unscathed. I'll usually put each bottle in a sock or something, and wrap some other clothes around them. Maybe a few pieces of cardboard or something rigid to protect from bumps.

I just flew from LA to Detroit 2 days ago. We flew Spirit and they have a 40lb. limit. Our only checked bag was 7lbs. over on the flight down so we had to pay an additional $25. I had 7 22oz bottles to bring home so I got a cardboard box, roll of packing tape, and wrapped my bottles in the clothes I had worn while on vacation. Prepurchased bags are only $18 so I essentially saved $7 checking a suitcase and the box (I used the whole roll of packing tape wrapping the entire box). Everything arrived fine.

Put rat poison in an empty bottle of whatever liquor it looks like and tuck that in your bag.

everyone should do this. Darwin out the bad seeds in the TSA.

Back