What have you leaned about beer since you started brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octang

Reaction score
I have learned that I enjoy heavy beers, particularly stouts, since I began brewing my own beer. Recently I have really begun exploring the various variety of stouts and I love to compare my creations to commercial varieties.

What have you learn about beer, or your appreciation/view of it since you started brewing?

I've learned that IPA's are best for hop addiction, which I unfortunately am afflicted with.

That and my ABV tolerance has gone through the roof. My scrawny ass has outdrunk a 220 lb. co-worker of mine. :p

Honestly, I didn't know anything about beer before I started brewing.

Probably the most non-brewers will know about beer is whether or not they think they like a few colors of beer.

I realized that I have been missing out on the flavor of beer!!!

It used to be if I bought and 18 pack, that meant sit down and drink 18 beers.
Now, I really like to drink beer...it's not just for show. I enjoy the flavor and the look and smell.

That I love IPAs

I didnt know ANYTHING about beer when I started brewing

1. Homebrewing is a lot of work.

2. By and large, I like the beer I brew.

3. Drink; back to work.

{There's a syllogism there somewhere......}

That you have to be careful with homebrew or else you can gain TONS of weight.

That if you ration and have self control you can get a KILLER buzz working on 2 homebrews. This is the best!!!

I really knew nothing about beer when I started. I started 3/4 days after I turned 21, and before that I didn't even know what an IPA was...

I've learned that there is a big difference between wine and beer. There ARE many varieties of Wine that you couldn't get me to drink a second time. Beer, on the other hand, has been good no matter what style it is. I simply enjoy Beer much more than Wine.

I think brewing your own beer makes you appreciate what goes into making a good beer....and when you come across a really good one...you tend to enjoy it so much more than people that do not brew.

I'm also happy knowing that in Retirement...I'll be able to make my own clone of Guinness, affordably... vs shelling out $160/ 50 L of the real stuff. Don't get me wrong --- I love a fresh keg of Guinness....but you can't stretch those retirement $$'s out very far with that addiction.

Wow, thats a heavy question. I'd venture to say that I learned everything I know about beer and brewing since I started this hobby. Since I've started brewing, I've listened to every Jamil Show and Brew Strong episode, read Joy, Wild Brews, Tasting Beer, Designing Great Beers, How To Brew and a lot of Zymurgy/BYO. Then throw in as much of the collective knowledge on this site as I can soak up. I've learned a lot.

I've also cultivated a deep appreciation for beer in myself and fiancee. Beer is such a historically significant beverage, it deserves more than the image Budweiser has given most Americans about it. If I'm going to a dinner, I usually stop and get a nice 750mL Belgian beer instead of wine. I bring my beer in growlers whenever possible. I'm also using beer for the toast at my wedding instead of champagne.

Like the other posts, I knew nothing. I would buy the 12 or 18 pack from the grocery store and throw it in the fridge. I would look at the "other" beers and wonder why someone would shell out $7.99+ for a six pack when you could get the big box for a few bucks more. Now I really like the different beers. What a hobby.

My dad drank craft beer growing up so I did know the major Ale styles pretty well, but i didn't know about Belgians and Lambics and such (didn't even know they existed). I knew nothing about how different styled got there distinct flavors, and I think I thought hops comprised more of the beer than they really do (something like you juiced the hops or something). I never got into drinking cheap Amer Lagers but yeah I still didn't know much just that certain styled tasted good to me. I still have a lot to learn especially now that I'm working on the Pro side, even in these last couple of months I've learned so much that I didn't know.

Back