Beginner High Alcohol Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrendyGuy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a brand new brewer and I started my first brew yesterday with an easy Cider to learn some of the basics. Now that this will be sitting for awhile I would like to find a recipe so i can gather all the ingredients to start after I bottle the cider.

I am wondering if anyone can point me to a High Alcohol beer recipe (around 10%) for a beginner. It can be a kit or something from scratch, doesn't matter to me. I would like to stay away from any extremely dark beers, more of a summer beer. Since I am new I might not be giving enough detail on what I am looking for but I don't know what else to say.

Thanks a lot!

I'm not sure what light colored beers will get you a 10% abv. You can try an imperial india pale ale. I don't see an extract recipe getting you there with any light colors what-so-ever.

A Tripel is fairly light and high in ABV. Imperial Pale Ale (no India needed). Something with sugar (gasp!) will help keep it relatively light for its ABV level.

It may be tough to get a big brew like this ready for summer. They take a while.

I think I am phrasing it wrong. I don't mean very light beer. I kinda mean I don't want an extremely heavy beer, something that is black as midnight. Can you guys point me towards a recipe or kit that you think might be good for a beginner?

10% ABV does not sound like a summer beer to me. Also, a "black" beer is not necessarily heavy. I got no answer for a 10% summer beer.

Why does it need to be ~10%? Lots of good beers in the 4-6% range, IMO. If you're looking to get smashed there are much more efficient ways. The added benefit will be getting your beer in bottles and the fridge faster so you can (a) learn and brew something else (pipeline!) and (b) drink it sooner.

Austin Home brew and Northern Brewer both have a good selection of extract kits, good service, and flat rate shipping. Something in the Pale Ale range should be pretty good :mug:

I'd go for a Tripel. Then again, like McGarnigle said, a higher ABV beer won't be ready to drink for a few months.

I'm assuming extract. The one on Northern Brewer looks as good as any.

I don't know if you have access to Brewhouse Kits (wort in a bag), but I was very tempted to make their Duvel clone hack until I decided to do something else.

The brew house

The catches with any high ABV beer, though, will be making a starter, properly aerating wort, using a secondary, and showing patience. These aren't necessarily daunting, but are steps up from beginner brewing.

18C. Strong Belgian Ale, Belgian Strong Golden Ale Extract

Color

Stats
OG 1.100
FG 1.025
IBU 28
ABV 9.7 %
SRM 4

Specifics
Boil Volume 2.5 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

Style Comparison
Low High
OG 1.065 1.100 1.080
FG 1.014 1.025 1.020
IBU 25 28 35
SRM 3.5 4 5.5
ABV 7 9.7 9

Fermentables
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
77.3 % 8.50 Light Dry Malt Extract 76.5 3.4
22.7 % 2.50 Cane sugar 23.0 0.5
11.00 99.5

Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
75.0 % 1.50 Styrian Goldings Whole/Plug 5.5 8.3 60 0.032 26.4
25.0 % 0.50 Styrian Goldings Whole/Plug 5.5 2.8 10 0.007 1.9
2.00 28.3

There you go. Ferment with a Belgian yeast and let it sit for 6-12 months

If you want a summer beer for this summer, don't worry about high ABV and do something in the 4-5% range

Thanks to everyone that has replied. I know I don't really know what I am doing yet so I appreciate the range of response I got.

Thanks again!

I like the spirit, but may I suggest something lower in alcohol to begin with. It's important to get your processes down before you go all crazy with your brewing. I would suggest brewing up a nice, easy pale ale to drink by august and then brewing something big for the summer in the fall.

As for a style you want, what do you like to drink? Just about any style can handle the alcohol (although it won't technically be that style). If you like belgian ales, a triple would be nice. But a saison may be better. You don't need to really worry about temps with those guys, ferment as high as possible.

Here is a simple recipe that you could try.
10lb light dry extract (half at the beginning of the boil, half with 15 minutes left)
.5lb caravienna malt, steeped at 155 degrees
2lb honey, added at the end of the boil
1oz Norther Brewer 60 min
.25oz Saaz 20 min
.25oz Saaz 10 min
.5oz Saaz 0 min

WLP 575 Saison Yeast Blend

Ferment as hot as you can (80 degrees and up)

I have never made this recipe, so who knows how it would turn out, but it may give you an easy to make 10% ABV beer.

Back